Your ReMixer name: Governed By Appearance

Your email address:

Your website: governed.bandcamp.com, soundcloud.com/governed

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy IX

Name of arrangement: Getting Older, Never Slowing

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Over That Hill

Link to original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGAWcVKDqxg

Comments: Inspired by Liquid Neon's submissions. Bass may need knocked down a little, but since it's d'n'b I figured I might as well have it loud and proud.

---------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGAWcVKDqxg

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Some cool ideas here with arranging the source. The backing arpeggios are turned into an unsettling texture, and the lead into a hazy melody that sits overtop, making this a much more chill listen. Production was quite good and had enough micro change-ups, but could have used more macro change-ups. 7:22 is too long for what this is doing, and the repetition of some of the parts is staggering. This could have been about half the length. It also sounds purposefully discordant, but I'm not sure it works in your favor. I kept wanting the dissonance to be more minimized, and again, the heavy repetition didn't help that. Good ideas, but some issues that need to be looked at.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Vinnie on all his points. The discordance could be cool in smaller doses but it feels like too much here. The overall soundscape sounds unnecessarily dense and busy the entire time, and the track is quite repetitive.

The DnB drumming is cool, but it is very repetitive and doesn't really compliment or enhance the soft leadwork and gentle padscape you've got going most of the time. The drumming feels out of place, as if it were just pasted on top of a much more mellow track, and it feels like a single loop most of the way through. Some drumming changeups would help, something halftime or slower maybe, with the heavy DnB beat only in a few sections for emphasis.

That background textury arp pattern, cool as it is, needs to be given a break, halfway through I've really lost interest because this texture never changes.

The lead melody writing is the same each time, verbatim to source, it is very simple with no real interpretation or variation, and the lead timbre is the same throughout the track as well. Vinnie is right about the "micro-changeups," they are nice but the track needs more variety overall.

The mixing is quite good and the bass is nice and present (which I like). You could give the bass some more groove and create more interest with some fun sidechaining with a silent kick pattern.

Lots more ideas to explore here.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

The opening breakbeat behind the groove felt generic, and the opening synth timing felt kind of robotic, but we'll see where this goes.

Oof. Once that lead came in at 1:05, it was like trying fit a round peg into a square hole. The way the beats function here almost feels slapped on and doesn't compliment the melody at all. This lead sounds like it's moving too fast, like it's trying to catch up to the tempo of the beats. Plus, those two parts don't fit together let alone with the warbly part also handling the source tune. It's not dissonance that works in this case.

The dropoff at 3:17 was much smoother without the beats, and I thought that section clicked the best, including when the drumkit reappeared from 3:39-4:01.

When the full percussion returned at 4:01 along with the warbly synth, it's another instance where the synth being slightly behind the beat just sounds awkward. 4:45-6:12 was just a rinse and repeat of 1:05-2:32 with 0 variation. "Getting Old, Never Varying." You've definitely got to cut some fat out of this one.

I'm also not as enthused as the others, unfortunately. The potential for a cool DnB take with this theme wasn't realized here. This has some raw, base potential, but it's too repetitive with too little development over the long-run, PLUS the dissonance, timing, textures, and beats ultimately don't work as is. Needs a lot of love and attention to get the execution where it needs to be, but it's not sophisticated right now.

NO