M-Audio Ozone

FM

So I've been looking separatley for an audio interface for my SM57, and also for a small desktop MIDI controller a la the Oxygen 8. And I found the lovely M-Audio Ozone, which is basically an Oxygen 8 with a USB audio interface built in. Is this my dream come true? Or should I look into buying them separatley? Ozone's can be found for about $80 on ebay, which seems like a great value considering what you get. But if their audio capabilities suck, I'd rather pass and get a Fast Track or an Audio Buddy.

Simply because it can support bitrates/sampling rates that high doesn't really say anything about the actual build quality, which is what really matters. There's no good way to quantify that either, as far as I know - just as many mics have similar-looking frequency responses and specifications, they can still have wide variances in price because of the build quality.

I'd say $70-$80 is a modest budget for someone with a mild interest. It says, "that looks cool, I'm gonna try that" instead of "I have too much money and not enough food." People aren't going to listen to your stuff and say, "Jeez, he had such low quality equipment." I'd say the ozone looks exceptionally nice.