Jazz-ish FF6 Coin Song remix

baboom

Hey all. Made this with FL. Any and all feedback/thoughts would be appreciated on how to improve it or what you'd change, no matter how minor. How are the track volumes/panning/EQ sounding on your speakers?

EDIT: newer version with lead baby grand and more notes

https://soundcloud.com/jeff-faust-1/coinsongremixpiano3

older version with lead e. piano

https://soundcloud.com/jeff-faust-1/chance-aint-always-chance

Edited by baboom

Sounds pretty good.

I think a piano doing some chords and jazzy licks will fit great in the song. (just because I love how the piano sounds in Jazz)

what vsti is that bass? (awesome lines by the way)

Edited by gercr

Thanks for the feedback fellas. Definitely hear you on the piano thing--I was debating using a regular piano instead of elec piano for the lead keyboard, but it sounded really mechanical and empty. But I guess that was mainly because I didn't bother messing with note lengths/velocities or adding any extra notes, so I'm gonna give it another shot. TBH I'm not in love with the lead elec piano soundfont, but somehow it still sounded better than the many others I tried.

The bass is the acoustic bass from the "all in one GM v1.1 bank" sf2 that I downloaded from hammersound (free).

Have you tried this one yet? Tons of bite and grit in this one.

http://learjeff.net/sf/sf.html (Demo)

The 76 MB SF2.

OMFG THANK YOU. This is exactly the soundfont I've always wanted but could never find. I'll play with it later... for now, I edited the OP with an updated version of the remix. I definitely prefer piano now that I put some effort into velocities etc. Thanks for the nudge, gercr. ;-)

The intro piano sounds narrow and lofi. The many note rolls all in a row like that actually make it sound more fake because people don't typically play in that way. Same with anywhere the e. piano plays like that. The drum fade-in is also strange, IMO.

Compared to all the other instruments, the piano sounds more low-quality in EQ and velocity layers (which it doesn't seem to have), almost to the extent of a honky-tonk piano. Same with the bass and saxophone. The drums are alright, though they could use more compression to put them more upfront. Also, the pad you have throughout is really quiet compared to everything else, and it's barely audible. Increasing the volume on it may help glue the instruments together and make things sound less disjointed.

The saxophone sounds very fake, and is quite evident at 1:31 and 3:06. The low note has degradation to the timbre that comes from drastically dropping the pitch of a note. The fast arpeggios are also very indicative. Consider finding someone to record live sax for you.

Overall this is a good remix that suffers from sample quality issues and unrealistic sequencing with certain soundfonts. I like the arrangement, but a piece of this kind needs a live touch to it.

Edited by timaeus222

Thanks for the very helpful feedback. Working on all points. The piano soundfont definitely has issues (I didn't touch the EQ on it yet), though the others I tried sounded more fake, usually being too bright or tinny. Does anyone know of any piano sf's that do softer notes well? Feels like they're all sampled from someone hitting piano key with a sledgehammer. :lol: