Original Link:

Argitoth

Elan Hickler

argitoth@gmail.com

www.argitoth.com

Remix Link: Ultima Online: Renaissance

Original Link: Tavern04.mid

Comments:

I quote The Orichalcon Judge "In the arrangement sense, I have no issues with what we have here. It's similar in style to the original, but upgrading from the basic nsf sound to the bouncy string guitar sound we have here is not simply a matter of note-for-note. There are a lot of holes to fill. To learn those holes and then execute it as well as it has been here, I think deserves a spot on the site." from this thread.

Ultima Online: Renaissance - "Tavern04"

Thanks for providing the original. Seems like a decent expansionist attempt. Sequencing sounds a little rigid, but not in a significantly impactful way, at least to me. Samples are fine, but seem a little vanilla.

Instruments seems slightly imbalanced at times (e.g. :48-1:08). The tambourine seems to be on nearly the same volume as the acoustic strings and woodwind, so when all of those things are in place, there doesn't seem to be a distinct separation enough of foreground and background.

But those are all rather minor criticisms on my side, so we'll see how the others feel. The expansion ideas are pretty good, but there's still not too much complexity relatively speaking. Add more arrangement ideas to bring further interpretation to the table and extend the creativity beyond a mere 1:54-long. This is a good base Elan, but at the same time more can be done with it. I feel it ends before it truly gets off the ground.

NO (resubmit)

alright so that midi sounds like poo, and for some reason it blew my ears off, but if the sequencing is similar to the original, i'd say this remix offers quite a lot.

the instrumentation is actually fairly dense, and there is a lot of countermelody/counterharmony going on among the lead instruments. Very well sequenced, I think. Considering the size of the boat, I'd say the motion in the ocean is doing an excellent job compensating. There's a significant amount of variation in the arrangement, different instruments taking lead, trading off the countermelody. And even though the track is only 2 minutes, there's a complete dynamic progression. I don't really know what else could ask for. Sure it could be longer, but there's plenty here. The Beatles have tons of songs shorter than this.

I agree that the tambourine could be quieter, but i really don't see that as a significant problem.

Short but solid.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure I could justify a YES vote on this one. Listening to it next to the original, really, where's the interpretation? It's pretty much the same key, close to the same tempo, the same rhythms, very similar texture and nearly identical instrumentation. This is an upgrade of the original that is slightly expanded; and there's not a whole lot you can do to expand it in less than two minutes, as Larry mentioned. While it might be enjoyable in and of itself, I don't see it as a significant rearrangement or interpretation compared to the original. In addition I don't think it's very interesting - you could argue it has the elements of an engaging mix but the actual execution falls short.

NO

The original was really quite simple indeed. I think that this ReMix adds quite a lot to the original, fleshing out and expanding the chord structure (or creating one, depending on how you want to see it). I think that if the mix was longer, some more original compositional ideas could have been added, which would have enhanced the appeal of this piece. It's certainly an enhancement, but I don't think we get to hear enough of the artists own interpretation of the tune.

NO (Resubmit)

I agree with Vig for the most part. I think the arrangement here though subtle and simple are nicely thought-out.

The samples are good, but the production, mixing and mastering is bland. I don't agree with the tambourine being that loud. Listen to any london or media ventures production - they can be this loud. There are plenty of genres where the tambourines can be this dominant as well. In this case, I think it works fine.

But while I agree with Vig, the underdeveloped qualities of the mix nag at me a bit. I'd like to hear some more. Tough one as I'm borderline, but NO.