Underground Theme- It's a Series of Tubes! Rewired.

YoshiBlade

So, This is gong to be a resub probably (verbatim) this week, however I thought I'd give it one more shot at peer review before I cut the chord on this one (see what I did there, chord/cord? chord/cord? chord/cord? Oh come on! I put a lotta work into that!) So if you would hear, the Fx are the star here. They do build up, however the general felling I was aiming for was a down, not depressing, but literally every note, beat, effect, sound, voice is predominately down. I want to see if the atmosphere could drive the mix, rather than a driving baseline or shedding guitar. Before an thoughts on the guitar( and its familiar melody) it is simply a platform that licenses every other sound here and I don't want to sully the mixing with anything that's going to detract from the tunnel you're currently navigating, so solos and hybridizations are out. Ive fought with myself to keep it as long as the feeling of glitchy subterranean......tubularity(?) is present, and I feel it has achieved its goal. HOWEVER, if there are criticism that my very biased ears cannot detect, speak now or hold your peace till I come crawling back.

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-lesuer/its-a-series-of-tubes-1

Edited by XPRTNovice
rozo already MRed

The arrangement gets rather repetitive by 2:00. You need to change things up in bigger ways. I'd work on the drum programming as well. What you have right now is OK, but it's not really punching through enough IMO. The whole remix could also be mixed more loudly overall but it's not much of a problem. I like the concept. The arrangement is the biggest issue for me. ;)

Edited by timaeus222

• 1 month later...

Nice groove. I'm digging this. 0:54, I was expecting... well, more. Now its getting repetitive. Which is what I was expecting from this source. Nice glitches, but this thing bores me before it's even half way into the track and you've used all the source material at least once. That's not a good sign.

And then voice clips. Yeah, no. Not my kind of track.

The sound is pretty cool, but you're painting yourself into a corner by sticking to just this one source. See if any of the newer Mario games (or any game, really) has some appropriate melody you can incorporate into it as a second source, just to give yourself more material to work with and keep the track from getting too same-y.

What's with the ending? That doesn't make sense to me.

Nice sound, nice take on the source, but way too repetitive. It's the source's fault. I wouldn't expect this to pass.

• 3 months later...

Oh wow, sooooooo once upon a time I would post a mix, receive feedback, touch up my mix, repost. So I remixed the remix awhile back, but just never posted it as a touch up.....tweaked some drums, guitars, bass and added the Underground theme from SMB2 ( I was excited to add the line " We've got to go deeper (squint eyes) only to find that that line doesn't exist...Just an FYI, the internet can occasionally contains some inaccurate information....)

https://soundcloud.com/yoshiblade1/its-a-series-of-tubes-rewired-fm

This is approaching kind of an old-school style of remixing, I suppose. Now it sounds kind of Electro-like. Not bad. Now you're putting a nice sense of style and personalization into this. I'd watch the compression on the track overall though, since it's overcompressing and there's a lot of sub bass from the kick and sub bass.

I also don't think the voice clips really fit. They just sound corny IMO, and they degrade the remix to the point where it doesn't even focus on the source tune anymore. The UG theme just gets lost in the glitching and overcompression, and this gets too liberal after 1:56. 2:20 vaguely has something UG-related, but it's really hard to discern. It finally comes back at 3:03 - 3:20, but again, obscured by the mastering.

Quick source breakdown:

Source = 0:14 - 0:51, 0:54 - 1:30, 1:34 - 1:56, 3:03 - 3:20

= 37+36+22+17

= 112/222 secs

= 50.45% source

And that's considering even the parts where it's hard to hear, so it's a stretch. Overall, this needs the overcompression fixed by getting a more tolerant limiter, and it can really benefit from some more inclusion of the UG theme. You were able to include it earlier just fine, so include more of it. :-P

Edited by timaeus222