*NO* Angry Birds 'Feathers on Fire'

Liontamer

Hi! Here's the info (text and the link at the bottom):

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Taika

Your real name: Jaakko Saarenketo

Your email address:

Your website: www.twitter.com/jsaarenk

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile e.g. djpretzel (http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=1) has the userid of "1"

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Angry Birds

Name of arrangement: Feathers on Fire

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Angry Birds Main Theme (…I guess)

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

Composed by Ari Pulkkinen for iOS & multiple devices

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

Hi OCRemix! It's been almost 9 years since my last remix but I've always kept my eye and ear on the community. Huge respect - especially the FF6 project!

Here's Feathers on Fire. It's an live recording of Angry Birds theme with a hot, gypsy-jazz/folk style arrangement. I'm (Jaakko Saarenketo) playing the nylon stringed guitar and my friend Anniina Poikela plays the violin. This was played live on the radio to promote an acoustic open stage event in Rovaniemi's concert hall Korundi.

The arrangement went through couple iterations. I left out some stuff from the source tune and kept the parts I consider iconic. Some parts are changed, but judging by reactions of all the children that have listened to this, it's still Angry Birds :)

Hope you like it!

---------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

The stereo separation in the headphones was too wide, IMO, but I'll live. The live performances were awesome.

We've had sub 2-minute arrangements pass before, so it's not that it's impossible, but one of the important aspects of that is not having much repetition in such a short time. This was a short and sweet track, but I didn't feel there was enough variation for the parts that repeated, so the arrangement felt underdeveloped beyond this excellent genre adaptation:

Verse - :05-:20, :35-:50, 1:25-1:40

Bridge - :20-:27, 1:10-1:17

Chorus - :27-:35, 1:17-1:25

For each of those sections, especially the main verse, just some sort of further melodic or rhythmic variation of the lead, changing a note here or there could made the presentation feel less repetitive.

Shit, I hate to reject Taika. His OC ReMix on the site is cool (and got better with age for me), and I like hearing another dimension of his style along with Anniina, because this is a sweet, fun cover. I suggested he should consider sending this in on the Tweeter account (not that it would necessarily pass, but it was a good piece to submit).

I definitely hope Jaakko would be willing to submit something else in the future, because we absolutely love material like this, but for the arrangement standards here, the arrangement would need to be developed or evolve further. I'm not saying it has to be longer, but it would need a lot more variation from verse to verse and chorus to chorus in order to pass it.

NO (resubmit)

Wow, only 1:48, it feels much longer because it's action-packed. I love the genre adaptation. I agree some of the stereo separation is a bit too wide, the violin is all the way to the left, just a bit too far.

I have to agree that a little bit more arrangement development would be great. Some kind of breakdown or original transition section would add some length to the arrangement and vary the mood and dynamics as well as add some interpretation to the source melody. I'm sort of on the fence with this one, it's really cool, love the concept, performances are impressive, just needs a little bit more work.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I agree that the heavy panning of parts is distracting on headphones. It's also very much in cover/underdeveloped territory. This would need more expansion and/or personalization to jive with OCR standards.

Still, this is enjoyable as a standalone listen. The performances are well executed. Not sure we'll hear a revised version of this one, but I'd definitely like to hear more from both players!

NO resubmit, please