What guitar/tone?

The guitar is an ESP Horizon FR-II. He's got a Line6 PODxt Live and a BarBer Direct Drive.

(but Yooz, you don't know anything about them gee-tars.

That's right. But this guy's webpage address is in the video. He's got his gear listed and since the Fenders have a round top so to say it must've been the ESP.)

Additionally, the song is McTallica's "Enter Sandman" with extra pinch harmonics, and the tone is about the shittiest I've ever heard from an amp. If you want to recreate it, I'd advise you to turn your bass and mid settings all the way down, treble (800Hz +) all the way up, and play as sloppily as possible. And make sure you have a mic pointed right at your brand new strings to get the maximum "jangly crap" effect.

-steve

• 2 weeks later...

Around 3:00 (like 2:55-3:30) you can kinda hear some bass in there.. I guess he switched patches on his PodXT Live or plugged into a different combo amp out of the several that he has with him at that clinic. However as far as I can tell, the thing was recorded with a handicam and judging by the sound quality overall like how his voice is kinda quiet and so on, there probably is no micing going on besides the built in mic in the handicam. So no wonder there's no bass in the audio in the video, yet you can hear from the way the tones distort, etc., that there is in the patches.

Also, he switches patches in quick succession around 7:55 while playing, which is a dead give away that he's using the PodXT Live for tone, plugging it into one of those combos (or maybe even direct into the PA you can see at the left edge of stage at times). So basically, there's no way we can know what combination of modeled stomp box effect, preamp, cab and post-eq he's using; therefore the exact tone could be a combination of a medium gain preamp and a distortion stomp box or a high gain amp with maybe a little pre-boost.. and the post eq might be flat, or emphasising the high mids.. and so on.

That all said.. trying to hear past the terrible audio quality.. I think eq wise he's left the bass as it is or maybe cut somewhere below 100hz. Sounds like some or possibly a lot of cut going on somewhere between 200-600 and a significant boost somewhere between 2-8khz. But again I stress that the amp, cab and stomp effects are a much greater contributer to the tone than the eq.

Oh, btw, I have a PodXT, so if you absolutely *need* to know a combination of settings on that (amp, cab, eq, stomp etc.) that would produce a similar tone, I could work something out. Of course, I only have a cheap Squire Stratocaster, so that's, again, another variable in terms of tone. :P

And one more note, I just noticed it reads 1 x 12 in red text in the upper right had corner around 1:00 which obviously is a reference to that he's using a 1x12 cab model on the PodXT for that tone or is plugging in to some 1x12 combo, so that's at least a starting point. The purpose of that clinic is apparently to demonstrate the effect of cabs on tone, so as he changes cabs (or combos, I guess he might be switching what combo he's plugged into for the different cabs / speakers since it fades in and out at times, so it's unclear), the red text changes to reflect what he's then using.

He seems to be pimping Laney; all the combos and the one preamp / cab are all Laney products.