Any Hyperdimension Neptunia fans? (Neptunia discussion thread)

Morningstar1337

I'm wondering if there are any Neptunia fans here.

If there aren't then I'll explain what the games are (with Wikipedia and TvTropes links in case people accuse me of being hipster enough to make s*** up): Hyperdimesion Neptunia is a series of games about the Console Wars, but with the consoles (and several Japanese game companies) anthropomorphized as girls (also bizarrely exclsuive to the Playstation 3). It's a JRPG/Visual Novel thing. Also it gives Disney a little precedent about stories about selfaware video games (to varing directions, degrees of literalism and trippiness). The games are made by Compile Heart and Idea Factory and have a ton of injokes related to the industry.

The protagonist is Neptune, who represents what would have been SEGA entry in the 7th era had they not dropped out, the SEGA Neptune. Other characters include personifications of the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii, personifications of several companies and a villain representing piracy (yet is which themed)

The first game (linked above) is well...bad, gameplay was atrocious but the story to be apparently good enough that it sold well in its market. The 2nd game (Called Hyperdimesnion Neptunia mk2) rebooted things, improved the gameplay and introduced characters based on the handhelds (and one infamous ending) as well as taking the anti-priacy message to anvilicious levels. With the third game (Named Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory) introducing a few more characters and apparently decided to compete with the Comics industry for "most alternate parallel worlds", starting with a dimension based on the 80s (and seems to focus more on a certain Steven Spielberg-induced disaster later down the line). There is a 4th game in development called Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory II.

Other games include remakes of the first 2 games for the PSP/Vita (that puts them in the same continuity) and an idolmaster-esque game, a hack and slash spinoff and a spinoff focusing on one of the other charaters, all for the Vita. There's also an anime adaptation that takes place in yet another universe. As a fair warning the characters may or may not be progressive design wise. Also note that Keiji Inafune (known for the oft remixed Mega Man, as well as the upcoming Mighty Number Nine and Azure Striker Gunvolt) apprently worked on the game (and has some bizarre cameos to prove it), and that Nobuo "Final Fantasy" Uematsu helped score the Soundtrack for the third game (meaning that Victory itself can lead to some great remixes:mrgreen:).

I went through about half the anime and it was nice. I was expecting moe overload but didn't remember that happening.

I actually bought the second game for PS3 but had to take it back 'cause I swear the FPS was below 10 during the entire thing. It was crazy weird. I'll probably try the sequel out at some point 'cause the premise and battle system seemed interesting enough. Besides all the weird fanservice moments (but seriously like everything has fan service so whatever).