*NO* Battle of Olympus 'Arcadian Blues' *RESUB*

djpretzel

LT Edit - Original decision: http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65721

Hello Dj Pretzel, the Jury and the rest of Overclocked ReMix!

You might remember me submitting some crappy Battle of Olympus remixes back in late 2005 that got rejected. Well, now im back with some kind of remake of the first one heh... I hope you will find it in higher quality since i’ve made some improvements to my studio.

I got the idea for this one a late friday night by the keyboard when i picked up some of the abandoned (rejected) projects and fooled around a bit with some music from the game (by the way, that Sawa guy is my idol ;).

Accidently i took this theme for a spin to end up with swing-rythm and i think it turned out kinda funny. It took a while getting a decent recording but I had a great time making it.

Enjoy!

Remixers Name: Kriko

My Email: dea138@hotmail.com

Videogame: Battle of Olympus (NES)

Song Remixed: Stage 1 (Arcadia)

Link from Rapidshare: (sorry ‘bout this)

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/olympus.zip - Track 1

The intro sounds weird/awkward on the first listen, but you get used to it. Performance doesn't flow, the way the samples are used and the processing on them are both low-quality, leaving the track sounding relatively sparse and unpolished.

Was glad the arrangement didn't simply repeat at 1:16. Decent variations there and also at 2:00 with the source melody again. Arrangement could/should still go in more places. Cool ideas in terms of the genre but the execution falls flat. Keep at it. Any tips from other Js on how to get this sounding stronger would be appreciated.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

This just plods along, the drums really don't make any attempt to groove it up at all, leaving it sounding quite limp. The production isn't too bad, and is fitting with the genre. This needed some more expansion - for this style I would have expected a solo improvisation part or something that really took the melody away but instead it doesn't. Quite conservative in many ways that leave the listener quite bored - put some personality into this, otherwise this just sounds like generic stuff that I could hear anywhere.

My issue is not with the quality by any means, but simply the execution of the arrangement. The unremarkable nature and unoriginality (pause for breath!) of this mix means that this is a

NO

I agree that the concept here is relatively sound, but it is brought down a bit by the execution. The drums would be the primarily weakness. They sound very much like drums from a basic General MIDI soundset. There are certainly far better free things out there; NSKit 7, for one, besides all the various acoustic/brush kit soundfonts on hammersound.net . I would check those out. Upgrading the sound is only part of it, though. It's also creating a more interesting and varied sequence that not only holds the beat, but the listener's attention through the whole song. Another element I would try to improve on is the bass. The tone is fine, but the sequencing is very mechanical. You're going for a jazzy feel, right? You gotta expand on that part for it to sound more realistic.

The organ + rhodes parts are pretty good, though the organ is somewhat repetitive. I would have emphasized the real piano parts more too, maybe put some little blues sccale riffs and arpeggios in there to spice things up. However, Malcos really hit the nail on the head.. you need some solos and improvisation!! Otherwise, it's really more like a cover that's "sort of" trying to be in a particular style. I think you can do better than this. Keep at it.

NO