*NO* Final Fantasy 'TripLude'

djpretzel

email sub file CypherPlum - Triplude.mp3

Hello gang.

I've had this song for a while. Don't know why i didnt submit it until today. Mostly I was afraid you wouldn't like it.

Let me know what you think.

Btw, graylightning, I LOVE your 'Time's Anxiety' with rexy. Its so great.

I love all your songs.

Your fan,

Cypherplum

The intro is certainly interesting. Most prelude remixes I've heard start with those arpeggios and nothing else. Good to hear that you've switched it up, though I'm not sure about those sort of lo-fi, high-pitched voices. I don't think those add a lot. 1:09 sounds like you took the arpeggio line from one of the games' original sound, rather than recreating it with your own instruments/synth. I say this because of the sort of trail of short delays after each note, which, as I recall, is what the SNES did to simulate reverb. If this is in fact the case, I would strongly suggest making sure you have recreated the arpeggios as we really frown on ripping directly from the OST.

Anyway, so like Vig said, the first two minutes are pretty promising (albeit a bit drawn out). Then all of a sudden, there's this really abrupt, ugly transition, before a basic 4/4 dance beat comes in. The beat itself is somewhat weak, and the bass synth isn't very strong either. You're still using the voices which I don't see the relevance of, and that isn't helping things. Then, the sampled arpeggios come back in, a REALLY weak lead plays the main melody, and stuff just doesn't change after that. You use the same sfx transition you did before to go to another section, but the new section isn't all that hot either. I like the idea of a breakbeat thing with new synths.. just the execution of it isn't very good.

So overall, I'd say the concept of this remix needs some work. There are some good ideas scattered around, particularly in the intro, but they need a lot of polish. Cut down on the repetition, add more variations, tweak the synths more, and make a real ending and you'll be on the right track.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/ff1.zip - Track 1

Final Fantasy Vocal Collections I: Pray - (01) "The Prelude"

Should encode this thing in VBR to get a better sound. Heh, that is an interesting opening. The vocals are directly sampled from the Risa Ooki track from the FF: Pray arrange album which to me is no good, but it at least wasn't used like a crutch. Too bad you didn't make those vocals yourself.

Changes up at 1:56. Oh, wow, the quality just dropped SEVERELY. Wow. It's just, you had some decent textures going on in the intro, then you stopped and went into some really thinly-textured and generic-sounding trance. Everything sounds very unprocessed, the instrumentation choices are too generic, bland, corny, etc., and the track just sounds really empty until 2:48.

2:48 brings in the familiar Prelude melody on faux-plucked strings while a very robotically sequenced ethnic woodwind instrument doubles it.

Another changeup at 3:34, with some decidedly more creative sound choices, but the soundfield still feels very empty. You need some pads or something to fill out the soundfield adequately so things don't sound so barren. Whatever you brought in at 4:23 in the background playing the source's supporting chords wasn't doing it.

4:44 starts fading in the sampled arrange album vocals for a decent touch. 5:09 goes back to the melody, but, much like before the writing, beatwork, and overall construction are too simplistic. Basically continued like that until the end.

For a 7:17-long mix, the arrangement substance wasn't there, and everything was put together in a fairly beginner-ish way. Work on creating more complex and varied arrangement ideas along with more complex and varied textures; the basics. Obtain some feedback from the community first before you submit in the future.

NO

Wonderful intro. Very ethereal and dreamlike, I didn't think it was too drawn out personally. My one issue with the intro is there tended to be too much fx processing - when the signal is treated that much, it tends to become lo-fi-ish.

After the intro the mix tended to get simpler and more and more conservative in terms of additions and ideas incorporated to the mix. I'd like to hear some more liberties taken with the melody, the harmony or the structure. I think this can benefit from more more instrumentation playing the chords too, maybe a pad to sit in between the melody, the beats and the background fx.

After the introduction section, I think the next 5 minutes could be compacted and more focused, it's a fairly long piece.

As the other judges said, the execution has a number of pros to be proud of, but the concept and arrangement elements do need to be expanded on with more personalization, direction and polish.

Keep working at it, you have an interesting and unique ideas presented here and I'm looking forward to hearing more of your works and progress.