*NO* Ecco the Dolphin: Tides of Time (GG/GEN) & Ecco: DotF 'Undertow'

Chimpazilla

Contact Information:

ReMixer name: ladyWildfire

email address:

userid: 11659

Submission Information:

Name of games arranged: Ecco 2: The Tides of Time (Game Gear), Ecco 2: The Tides of Time (Genesis), Ecco: Defender of the Future.

Name of arrangement: Undertow

Name of individual songs arranged: Ecco the Dolphin Tides of Time (game gear) - vortex future; Ecco the Dolphin Tides of Time (genesis) - maze of stone; Ecco Defender of the Future - epilogue

link:

Comments: This song was what started me on remixing. This was my first ever completed remix, I think I finished it way back in 2008. I got the idea to remix the Vortex Future theme because it was catchy in-game, and the level was an auto-scrolling maze that was very difficult to not die on, so you end up listening to it for a loooonnnnnnggg time. Enjoy!

Vortex Future:

Maze of Stone:

Epilogue:

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 weeks later...

The arrangement here was interesting enough. A nice selection of varied instruments throughout, with elements playing and then dropping to make way for the next bit. For this being said to combine 3 source tunes, the track does a good job at sounding like a relatively cohesive song.

This brings me to the first problem - that I'm having some problems hearing the source usage. I would love a breakdown from the artist to steer my ears in the right direction. After a number of play throughs of the source tracks and the mix I can't really make it out.

Apart from the difficult to identify source, production wise is where I think this mix needs some work.

-Firstly, the whole mix sounds kinda crunchy, like it's hitting a limiter too hard, or is possibly clipping.

-The high frequencies are quite harsh to the ears at times (particularly during the larger synth leads)

-The mixing is kinda off. For example, the leads are a lot louder than the rest of the instruments (the synth brass at 1:39, 1:50 was the biggest offender)

-It's very hard to hear the drums (especially the snare). I know this track is taking a lighter approach but this balance between the drums and other instruments doesn't feel right

-There is low-end muddiness in the mix contributing to the above problem in hearing some elements

-Not a huge problem, but the mix at the end cuts off a little early, will need that end marker extended if doing a resub.

This is a NO from me purely on production. If someone can shed some light on source usage that would be great.

NO

Edited by Jivemaster

I am listening to all three sources and I will do so a few more times, but it is tricky to recognize them very well in this mix. The first two sources are fairly ambient. The third source has some lead writing but I'm not recognizing that lead writing in the mix. The lead writing that IS in this mix I'm not recognizing at all. A source breakdown would certainly help here.

But source aside, I have to agree with Jivey that the mixing is off. The leads are very loud at some points and stick out badly from the soundscape (like the lead at 1:39). The lead sounds are extremely generic too, lacking any interest or modulation. The drums feel a bit forward too, especially the cymbals/hats that appear on the left. Also agreed the mix sounds overly bright and a bit clippy here and there like the master limiter is driven too hard. The bass is indistinct and muddy, washing out the low end and taking up headroom. Starting at 3:02 and all the way to the end there are too many similar sounds playing at the same time and in the same frequency range, making that section overly busy in writing and sonically fatiguing.

I like the glitching and some of the ideas you have going. Arrangement is drawn out and feels long (and it doesn't help that I can't identify the sources), but the ending is nice. A source breakdown would really help. But mainly the mix needs a pretty major mixing overhaul.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta agree with the other judges in that the balance isn't feeling great to me; the drums are buried, and the leads are overbearing. The samples all feel a little too bright, so some eq to bring the highs down just a db or so in sme instruments would help the mood here and also would get things to sit a little more solidly. A good deal of the sequencing also feels a bit stiff and blocky to me. The transitions should be stronger as well, especially 2:42.

I like the arrangement, the sounds chosen, and can't really tell where all the sources are either, but as a single piece it is definitely nice. The key change works and brings more interest, and there is a good foundation here, but a bit more production work is needed. I hope to hear a resub!

No, please resubmit