*NO* Super Mario 64 'Nighty Night Piranha'

djpretzel

Remixer name: 'The' Ace

email address: ace131484@hotmail.com

Game: Super Mario 64

song remixed: Piranha Plant Lullaby

(its the only song on the page)

This is a solo piano arrangment of the Piranha Plant Lullaby from Super Mario 64, you know, the song that plays when you walk (not run) next to a sleeping piranha plant. The original was pretty simple, mostly just chords played on what sounded to me like a celesta. Thats why I fell in love with the song, the harmonic progression is beautiful. Over this past summer I learned how to play the song on the piano, then just started re-arranging it, until it grew into what it is now. I've actually played this live in a concert. One person actually recognised it.

This is a prettty good concept, and a decent original track. I'm happy to see you try this on solo piano. What you have here is a pretty good start, but the solo piano bar is fairly high, and there are some fairly obvious things you could do to make this a lot better. The biggest thing for me is that most of the variation is dynamic and rhythmic; going from quiet arpeggiations to hammering out 8th notes. There's very little harmonic tension. Most if not all the chords are simple triads, maybe a 7th here and there, and a few diminished near the end. I'd like to hear some more complex harmonics in the chords and in the countermelodic lines to make it more interesting.

Some of the rhythmic variations arent particularly subtle...like i described the hammered out 8th notes...eh..kind of blunt.

another thing is that when you voice chords with your left hand, they tend to be too low and muddy.

good start and i hope to hear more from you

NO

http://www.zophar.net/usf/sm64usf.rar - 15 "Piranha Plant's Lullaby"

I agree with Vigilante that it's cool to hear someone actually try to arrange this piece. I don't believe I've ever seen anyone in the community express any interest in the original before.

The rendered performance sounds thin, even MIDIish at times; more could be done to get the piano sample to sound richer. Performance also felt a little sluggish from 2:34-3:07, not simply on account of the tempo but because the timing felt rigid.

Note progression at 3:47 sounded odd; 3:50-4:07 arguably didn't quite seem to fit the prior mood of the piece, but I see how you were trying to move toward the finish.

Yeah, some decent ideas so far, but the arrangement was fairly simplistic/straightforward. It's simply up to you to go for something more complicated (and thereby interpretive) than what you have in place now.

NO

Yeah, some decent ideas so far, but the arrangement was fairly simplistic/straightforward. It's simply up to you to go for something more complicated (and thereby interpretive) than what you have in place now.

Yeah Larry pretty much summed it up for me. The ideas here aren't as expansive as they could be. Vig mentioned bringing more complex harmonic ideas to the piece; I agree with that. This interpretation is really straighforward. A lot of the rhythmic variation here wasn't really all that different from the original. This needs more embellishment here and there, more complexity. There were some timing issues with the passing tones you added in. It sounds like you weren't sure of those notes when you played them; there's hesitation.

More practice and a deeper arrangement will help. Hope to hear more from you. NO