Composer looking for a small project

DarkDjinn

I'm currently looking for a project to work on - even if it's a "just for fun" thing. I want to be able to work on something with some direction, i.e. "This piece needs to sound like someone is running away from something scary - dark, and tense" rather than my current way of doing things - sitting around until I come up with an idea, or rehashing all my old ideas.

I have no experience composing commercially, but I am thinking something along the lines of mobile phone games - don't really know what to look for.

Here's a link to most of my good work

http://www.soundcloud.com/brad-charles/

Also, if anyone has an idea of a specific place I could go to find people who are seeking musicians for things like this, that would be appreciated. I'm not trying to undermine the process of music composition, but at this point I don't need to make any money doing it - just want some experience doing something different and new.

If you're looking for mobile-type games to work on, you should be looking at mobile game development forums to post on. Our forum is largely composed of other composers too - it's sort of like selling refrigerators to Frigidaire.

I also advise not to go searching for jobs on the "post and pray" model here. As evidenced by a cursory glance at many game and music forums, new composers tend to think if they just make a post saying they're looking for work, game developers will come to them, and the often complete lack of response is what naturally follows (and Composer Looking For Work is often the more populated thread types you'll see there). Instead, you should be looking for posts by others saying they are building up a game or team or what have you and contact them.

If you're looking for mobile-type games to work on, you should be looking at mobile game development forums to post on. Our forum is largely composed of other composers too - it's sort of like selling refrigerators to Frigidaire.

I also advise not to go searching for jobs on the "post and pray" model here. As evidenced by a cursory glance at many game and music forums, new composers tend to think if they just make a post saying they're looking for work, game developers will come to them, and the often complete lack of response is what naturally follows (and Composer Looking For Work is often the more populated thread types you'll see there). Instead, you should be looking for posts by others saying they are building up a game or team or what have you and contact them.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think that will happen, and I certainly don't want to rely on posting here to be my only option. I post original songs often, and I know from experience that posts often don't get the attention I want them to get :) That's what I'm looking for though - advice on an appropriate game development forum. I'm not new to music, just new to trying to put it in projects, so I'm lost when it comes to that. So do you personally have any suggestions for a specific game dev forum? Thanks again!

Truthfully, and ironically, the only real gigs I've ever been able to score were right here in OCR-land. GameDev is where I used to go for that, but that became depressing as it's saturated with composers writing the same topics and getting no responses. I joined a few projects on there but nothing ever came of any of them.

There's a ton of forums out there, you just need to go look at the ones that are highly active, throw some seeds and try to get them to sow.