*NO* Metroid 'Party on Brinstar'

Chimpazilla

Resubbed from a form letter rejection - LT

Song Link(Also Attached)

Contact Information

HanSoto

Christopher Soto

https://soundcloud.com/hansoto-1 and (https://soundcloud.com/electro-fish-2)

Submission Information

Metroid

Party On Brinstar (Brinstar Dance Mix)

Brinstar (From Metroid; NES)

This is primarily a re-submission with an attempt at mastering the Audio & cleaning up the sound.

------------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 weeks later...

This remix feels like a solid starting point/proof of concept for a dance-y interpretation of the Brinstar theme, but there's a lot of things missing from this that keep it from reaching OCR's bar.

First off, there's a huge lack of dynamics in this track once it picks up - you don't employ any breakdowns, beat switches, or changeups once the beat comes in, it's just a relentless 4-on-the-floor groove for the duration of the song. At almost 6 minutes long, you really need to explore other territory - this feels like a 1 minute idea copied/pasted into 6 minutes.

A lot of your rhythmic synths are interesting but the mixing is also very muddy and indistinct, so most of the detail work gets lost. I can barely make out any of the secondary percussion other than the kick drum here, and your pad/bells are so resonant & delay heavy that they contribute a great deal of mud... Work with the decay times on a lot of your sounds in order to free up some space and let your sounds shine through.

This needs a lot of reworking in my opinion, keep at it and experiment with new arrangement ideas to help keep things fresher and more engaging.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

I think there is a lot of promise here, as Wes said, it's a great start. But it is just too repetitive in every way. Six minutes is much too long unless you really vary some things, writing or instrument-wise. I suggest cutting off at least two minutes of what you have here, and see if you can make variations in texture, writing, instrumentation in what's left. A soft or drumless breakdown would really help and give the track some dynamics as well.

The mixing is indeed muddy, all the sounds mush together in the middle of the frequency range. Gotta work on balance and equalizing the sounds so they have their own space. Lots more work needed, but again a decent start.

NO (resubmit)

Great votes above by my fellow J's, so I won't beat a dead horse (too much!).

There's quite a bit of crowding in both the density of the part writing and eq levels. The wide-panned backing phased synth is too loud compared to the other elements. Honestly, by the time the melody comes in, there is so much noise already from the busy backing parts that it's almost completely lost.

The arrangement is essentially an additive build up (base idea started, elements gradually added), which eventually subtracts and element or two and then brings it back in. As mentioned before, this is basically one idea stretched out the length of the track.

Good idea for a dance-y version of the track, but there's quite a bit of work left to be done on both arrangement and production. I'd recommend hitting up the workshop forums for a while to get some (closer to) realtime feedback while revising this one. Good luck to you.

EDIT: FYI, doesn't really impact the decision, but the ending cuts out instead of letting the last notes resolved. Something to keep an eye on for the future.

NO