Your real name: Sebastien Skaf

Your website: http://sebastienskaf.com/

Your userid: 23598

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Earthbound

Name of arrangement: Nocturne for Paula

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Because I Love You

Link to the original soundtrack:

Not much to say about this one; it's a solo piano arrangement in a fairly modern style. I played it through MIDI using NI's Alicia Key's piano samples and did some basic mastering in FL studio. There's a lot of dynamic variance in this one due to the genre and style, so a lot of it ended up sounding pretty quiet compared to the louder section in the last 1/3rd, but that's an easy fix if it's too much of an issue. Other with that I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Very beautiful arrangement and performance here. Sebastien tackles a really delicate source here by keeping things relatively restrained initially, then gradually building as it progresses.

:00 - :29 Original

:30 - :42 Loose interpretation of the intro to OST

:43 - 1:11 A section of OST

1:12 - 1:25 Back to loose intro interpretation

1:26 - 1:50 B section of OST

2:15 - 2:51 A section again

Gonna go ahead and stop here. Lots of source usage clearly and creatively used throughout.

Super nitpicky crit is when it gets louder, it gets a bit crowded in the mid-high range (maybe 2kish?), which could easily be dealt with using a light eq cut.

Levels really didn't bother me personally.

Great ending too.

YES

I'm not sure what you did but you got Alicia's Keys sounding GORGEOUS. Perfect sample choice for this genre, I wish I could get that library sounding as nice on my own arrangements.

1:26 sounded kind of stiff on the lead melody, but I can see how that might be a stylistic choice. Other than that, I really can't find much fault in this - it's a delicate, lovely, and personalized take on a beautiful source. You nailed it :-)

YES