*NO* Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 'Tango Di Windfall'

Chimpazilla

Tomo Club (feat. Kevin Fredericks of the Reno Video Game Symphony)

www.rvgsymphony.com

OverClocked Remix forum id=50319

This is Tango Di Windfall, and arrangement of Koji Kondo's "Windfall Island" from Zelda: The Wind Waker. It is performed by Tomo Club.

Zelda: The Wind Waker

Tango Di Windfall

"Windfall Island"

The Tomo Club started after flautist Sara Fujii commandeered a few members from the Symphony to record a video of the Dragon Roost Island theme from The Wind Waker. I (Kevin) was scooped up to relearn how to play mandolin and we quickly decided it should be a full group so we grabbed cellist Ben Brown, violinist Jessica Arrendale, percussionist extraordinaire Elizabeth White, and a second flautist in Shaolin Gates. We played the Windfall Island theme pretty straight for a while, but one day I switched over to my guitar after listening to some of Astor Piazzolla's tango piece "Oblivion" and we thought it would be pretty magical to imagine a Windfall Island street festival, with the townsfolk enjoying some late drinks and dancing to their theme song played in a distinct tango style. Tango being the sexiest of all music, we instantly fell in love with the tune and have been playing it at shows for almost a year now.

-----------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

I'm having a really hard time hearing Windfall in here, I know it is there but this style and mood are so completely different than the source that my brain is struggling. Ok, yeah I hear it. Regardless, I have issues with the production of this track. There are some nice performances, but I feel like the performances aren't very cohesive with each other much of the time. There are some clashing notes, such as at 2:17 and again at 2:47. The whole arrangement just feels very liberal and very loose. If just one performance was loose and liberal and the rest were more structured, it might work, but in this case there isn't a lot of structure either rhythmically or melodically to hold this mix together. Honestly this mix sounds like something I'd hear in a cheesy 60s movie! Definitely a moody and earthy piece, but not quite doing it for me.

NO

Guys, I really want to like this... I think the concept behind this adaptation is very inspired, and it's clear you're talented performers, but as many times as I've listened to this and tried to wrap my head around it, it just comes across as messy to me. I feel like there's too many competing instruments and melodies that don't align with each other.

There's a lot of harmonic clashing going on between the flutes, guitar, and cello. When one of the instruments is taking a break or only playing melody accents, such as in the first :45 seconds or from 1:42-2:02 are nice, if a bit rambling, because you guys are giving each other some room to breathe.

Sections such as :57-1:20 or 2:49-3:04, however, sound like a huge jumble. I feel bad for saying this but there's times where it feels like I accidentally opened the track in two separate and the track is playing from separate start points. There's very little synergy going on between the many instruments and it's resulting in a lot of clashing. I think you need to scale this back in order for it to be more listenable.

I want to stress that each of the individual performances were very solid and the concept was exquisite, but the execution is falling short because of how disjointed everything feels :-(

NO

This is a tough one for me because I enjoy the arrangement and performances very much. Your musical choices here make for a more folky take on the original source tune. I agree with my mates in judgedom that the sum of performances causes the mix to feel too jumbled. The percussive elements for me in particular didn't quite feel tight enough. Is each performance on its own track? I ask this because if so would it be possible to run a smidgen of audio quantisation over the parts or even some selective nudging to get things where they need to be? IMO getting some collective tightness across the parts is the major thing to fix this mix. The secondary issue which has already been mentioned are some clashy notes. These shouldn't be too hard to correct either, there aren't many. If you're able to do this I'm on board.

NO (please resub)