Non-traditional or Evening Music programs

DarkDjinn

So I'm 26, I've got a family, mortgage, all that fun stuff. I always wanted to go to school for music but it never seemed to be in the cards. Has anyone ever heard of a music degree program at a traditional college that is accommodating for nontraditional students, maybe having classes for longer periods but less days of the week, or classes during evenings/weekends? The answer I'm getting from most schools is, "no, that will not work."

If you're going the college route then online might be your best bet. The two decent ones I've found are Berklee and Point Blank (Berklee even has an full online degree), although they are both fairly costly. There are some other alternatives as well, although I haven't looked much into them.

There are also some sites that will offer tutorials or smaller classes that you could use, eg. lynda or askvideo. Coursera also has some offerings (albeit non-degree and generally pretty small in scope) that might be helpful as well.

Personally I'm thinking of trying one of the Berklee certificates and seeing how that goes.

If you're going the college route then online might be your best bet. The two decent ones I've found are Berklee and Point Blank (Berklee even has an full online degree), although they are both fairly costly. There are some other alternatives as well, although I haven't looked much into them.

There are also some sites that will offer tutorials or smaller classes that you could use, eg. lynda or askvideo. Coursera also has some offerings (albeit non-degree and generally pretty small in scope) that might be helpful as well.

Personally I'm thinking of trying one of the Berklee certificates and seeing how that goes.

Berklee has some interesting online programs and certificates that I want to check out. I'm just looking for more of a traditional (preferably not online) school, with non-traditional scheduling I guess. I've found some stuff in my area that seems promising. I emailed a lot of schools in my area yesterday asking their opinions on it, and most of them had the same answer - there isn't really much hope of taking evening music classes. The knowledge from any music study is valuable, but I want the paper to go along with it as well :) Thanks for the tips guys, I welcome anyone else's opinion if they've got one - also if anyone has gone through any of the Berklee online courses, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.