Chimpazilla

ReMixer Name: Hylian Lemon

Game: La-Mulana

System: PC, Wii

Composers: Takumi Naramura, Houryu Samejima

Arrangement title: Sakit Chills Out

Songs arranged: Giant's Rage, Giant's Cry

Comments:

As far as I can tell, no one has submitted anything from this game, so it's about time someone did! I started this arrangement in 2013 after playing the game for the first time, and the kickstarter for La-Mulana 2 motivated me to finish. Giant's Rage and Giant's Cry are two of my favorite tracks from the game, and they're essentially based on the same motif (which is also used to introduce most bosses), so why not stick 'em together? And why not throw some swing in there for good measure?

If someone reading this hasn't played the game, give it a look! It's hard, it's confusing, and it's a blast. I recommend the remake.

Sources for easy reference:

Giant's Rage (original):

Giant's Cry (original):

Giant's Rage (remake):

Giant's Cry (remake):

I kind of drew inspiration from both versions of both tracks.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Ok, this sounds so good. I considered it for a DP, but I have a concern about how conservative the track is from 0:00 all the way to 1:26. It is so similar to the source tune (Giant's Rage) in writing and instrumentation that it feels like an instrument upgrade. After 1:26 things get interesting with the added swing vibe. The track is fun and cohesive, I'm just not sure how big a deal the first minute and a half are. Anyone?

edit 12/13/14: It absolutely pains me to do this, but I'm reluctantly going to vote NO on this, due to that first minute and a half being so amazingly similar to the source tune in so many ways. *sigh* I'd love for Larry to listen to this and confirm how big of an issue this is... honestly if he is ok with it, then my vote is yes. But for now, too similar, and in too many ways. So sorry.

NO (resubmit)

Edited by Chimpazilla

You're killing me here... I LOVE how this sounds in a bubble, and the transition to swing was really unexpected and fun, but the first half of the song is pretty much verbatim from the source. I actually synced your remix and the source in two separate windows and sure enough, they fit almost perfectly. The shuffle rhythm helps personalize it, but by that point I feel like too much of the runtime has been spent treading through cover-territory. The straightforward chiptune sound pallet works just fine here, but when your instrument selection is ALSO so close to the source tune, I just don't think there's enough personalization to meet OCR standards.

Love your work Ben, but I don't think this is gonna cut it for me.

NO

Pretty torn on this one. I think the main issue holding this back has already been covered - it sounds too much like an upgrade of the original tune as opposed to an rearrangement. There is some original stuff in here (the second half of your track is stronger than the first half in this regard), but I think we need a bit more you to get this past. I honestly don't think it'll take much - some original interpretation of the source via licks or some soloing would work very well.

I'm not as concerned with the instrumentation because when you're remixing chiptune in chiptune, you're always going to have some problems with your instruments sounding like upgrades of the original due to the limited waveforms available, but it couldn't hurt to switch up some sounds along the way.

Overall this is a great track that belongs on OCR, we just need some more you in there to get through. But lets see what Larry says.

NO (borderline)

Edited by Jivemaster

I haven't heard this, so I'm not voting, but when I see a comment like this...

I actually synced your remix and the source in two separate windows and sure enough, they fit almost perfectly. The shuffle rhythm helps personalize it, but by that point I feel like too much of the runtime has been spent treading through cover-territory. The straightforward chiptune sound pallet works just fine here, but when your instrument selection is ALSO so close to the source tune, I just don't think there's enough personalization to meet OCR standards.

...it looks like the case has effectively been made that this needs more to stand apart from the sources. We can close this out. I'm pretty sure Ben could get something passed with his eyes closed at this point, so if he's game for revisiting this one, I'm sure he'd have no problem adding more substantial interpretation.