OCR03107 - *YES* Metroid Prime & Super Metroid 'Sub-Zero'

Emunator

I haven't submitted any of my own remixes in over 3 years now, but I have been slaving away at this track on a semi-regular basis since December 2011, trying to get it to a point where I'm happy with it. It's come a long way, and admittedly after such a long gestation period, there are some areas where I'm still not totally satisfied, but at some point you have to call it a day and say "I've done enough." This likely isn't the last time I'll touch Phendrana Drifts... there's really so much content to be pulled from the original, I can't possibly fit all of my ideas into one remix!

Stylistically, this plays similar to my previous submission, Footloose Falls, by incorporating a house/electronic groove into an ambient/ethnic foundation, but this time I tried to flesh this out into a longer, more diverse arrangement that covered a lot more territory. This includes an extended ambient intro, solo guitar outro, and a cameo section from Super Metroid, integrating the bassline and a brief melody from 'Brinstar: Plant Overgrowth Area' during one of the breakdowns.

BIG PROPS to Ergosonic for coming through at the 11th hour to provide live recordings so you all don't have to listen to my crappy sampled guitars :-) He's such a talented guitarist and it's always a pleasure working with him. I've gotten endless feedback from the likes of Flexstyle, Chimpazilla (sorry I still left in the crash cymbal that you hate so much!) Radiowar, Theophany, DjjD, timaeus, Phonetic Hero, Will, DaMonz... and so many others. You guys rock.

It feels good to put this track behind me after so many years, hopefully it's up to par! I promise to try and ramp up my musical output in the coming years.

Sources:

- Phendrana Drifts (Deep Space Area)

- Phendrana Drifts

- Brinstar Edited by Emunator

Ok so I've heard this song of yours 872 times now, and I've never heard either of those two sources. Now that I'm listening to them, I have an even better appreciation of what you've done here. The sources, especially Phendrana, were NOT what I expected to hear at all!

I've loved this mix of yours from the first time I heard it, and the production keeps getting better and better. You really wove those sources together, you cut them into pieces and reformulated them into something that is both lovely and groovy at the same time. Those heartbeat kicks... I can't remember that far back, were they... my... idea? Sidechaining sounds great, who showed you that? Hehe.

I love the little details in this mix, like the panning rainstick percussion. The bass could probably still have a little more low-end presence, as could the kick. The bass starting at 2:48 is excellent. That crash that I dislike is still there, but you mixed it differently and now it sounds like what you were going for without that "cheap" feel, nice work. That final guitar work by Ergosonic is really very nice, a great way to wind up the track with the rainstick sfx. Overall, a truly enjoyable track. I'm glad to see you finally submitting this, finally working on music again, and back on the panel!

YES

• 1 month later...

A little bubblier, a little clubbier. I really enjoyed the sound design and how various SFX and nods to Metroid Prime's atmosphere were used here. Nice combination of these themes as well. The brief Super Metroid 'Brinstar' usage was a nice touch. Nice close by Ergosonic at 4:35 also.

This was an interesting arrangement that constantly evolves and never stays in one place. It hits a nice middle ground of significantly personalizing the arrangement through the instrumentation and genre changes, yet remaining melodically conservative enough so that folks who go "ZOMG I can't handle drastic changes" at our more liberal ReMixes should still observe the connections to the source tunes. (They need to broaden their tastes more. :lol:) Smart stuff throughout.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Aww yeah, this track! Like Chimp, I hadn't actually heard the sources before I took a listen to them this time, and again, like her, I "get" the song so much more now. This is a fantastic arrangement, and I love the way you've melded the organic and synthetic elements together. The groove is super tasty, Ergo's guitars are on point, and this thing needs to just get on the front page already.

so much of my YES