*NO* Xenogears 'Final Convergence'

Chimpazilla

Hi OC ReMix Judges,

I submit the following remix for your consideration and enjoyment:

Work-in-Progress thread: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46113

(Additional revisions were made based on feedback from Theophany, halc, and other OC ReMixers through private messages)

Link to OST:

ReMixer: Sauraen

Email:

OC ReMix Forums Userid: 47320

Game: Xenogears (1998, Square, PS1)

ReMix Title: Final Convergence

Original Composer: Yasunori Mitsuda

Songs Arranged: Stars of Tears, Small Two of Pieces

ReMixer Comments:

Just as more than a few characters converge into two beings at the end of Xenogears, half the original soundtrack converges in this orchestral/celtic remix of some of the greatest songs from Xenogears.

Songs referenced (22 out of 44 on the OST):

0:00 - Aveh, Ancient Dance

0:25 - Stars of Tears / Emotions [Overworld Theme]

1:25 - My Village is Number One (uilleann pipes)

1:29 - The Sky, The Clouds, and You [Chu Chu's Theme] (glockenspiel)

1:33 - Singing of the Gentle Wind (flute)

1:48 - Bonds of Sea and Fire / Leftovers of the Dreams of the Strong (horn)

1:56 - Flight / Gathering Stars in the Night Sky (brass)

2:04 - Shattering Egg of Dreams (strings, low whistle)

2:34 - Small Two of Pieces (uilleann pipes shredding)

3:22 - Faraway Promise / Small Two of Pieces A Theme (glockenspiel)

3:43 - Back to Sleep V1/V2 (harp)

3:50 - The Wounded Shall Advance into the Light / Pray for the People's Joy

3:57 - In a Dark Sleep / Small Two of Pieces B Theme

4:13 - Lost... Broken Shards (flute, glockenspiel)

4:28 - The Treasure Which Cannot Be Stolen

4:58 - Wings (uilleann pipes)

5:02 - Ship of Regret and Sleep (glockenspiel)

5:06 - Dazil, City of Burning Sands

Software Used: REAPER, EastWest/Quantum Leap Complete Composers Collection

I hope you enjoy this arrangement.

Sincerely,

Sauraen

Star of Tears:

Small Two of Pieces:

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Wait, how many sources? You've mentioned two main sources, but then you have a breakdown which includes many more. It will take a bit of listening to sort this out, and I'm not familiar with this OST. Hoo boy.

The arrangement is actually really nice, but it feels long for what it offers. These samples aren't fooling anyone but they are used well enough. Things could be humanized better and mixed better. There is very little in the way of dynamics in the track, the energy never changes. The overall mastering is quiet. The drums are the biggest offender I think, the drum kit really doesn't fit the instrumentation and the drum writing is very repetitive, and the drums aren't mixed well. The drums give the track an unnecessary plodding pace; they are dragging this arrangement down more than any other aspect. I think if there's only one thing addressed here, it needs to be the drums.

NO (resubmit)

Haha, Xenogears sources really do all meld together so well. This doesn't have nearly as bad of a case of medley-itis as I would have expected from a track that references 22 sources. This arrangement is triumphant and really maximizes use of some of Mitsuda's best themes. Major props for utilizing some lesser-used ethnic instruments in addition to the standard orchestral pallet.

That said, I think Kristina nailed down the issues with this is the plodding nature of the arrangement, and I agree that the drums are the biggest culprit. You have a lot of melodic variation going on, but the overall dynamic level doesn't vary much, so it all washes together on repeat listens. The drums are repetitive and the samples really don't feel genre appropriate, I would highly suggest a complete overhaul to that component of your arrangement. You have a lot of great melodies and instrumental parts, but the drumkit and repetitive writing aren't doing them any favors :-\

It's hard to tell how well this arrangement would work if that component were to be revisited, but this definitely needs more dynamics overall in order to justify the length of the track.

NO (resubmit!)

Excellent votes above that really nail both the strengths and main issues with this track. The drums stay on essentially the same pattern for so long (with the occasional fill thrown in). As mentioned, there isn't much dynamic contrast throughout, just a very gradual increasing of intensity throughout the entire piece.

The elements don't quite all gel together here. For example, the bagpipe lead (uilleann pipes I guess?) are really dry and mono sounding, which sticks out above the wider, wetter backing parts. Another example is the whistle (irish whistle? I need to learn these names) that plays at :00, :46, etc is another example of the same issue. Some tasteful reverb applied to both orchestral and lead parts and better stereo spacing could really help in this regard, you just need to be careful not to overdo it.

The arrangement really is the high point here. There's SO much content from various sources in the game, but you've integrated them to compliment the underpinning source pieces (like Star of Tears throughout).

Really would like to hear a better blend of instruments and the drums looked at for sure, as well as a bit more contrast in the flow, so we can hear this one again.

NO resubmit, please