OCR03121 - *YES* Final Fantasy 10 'Laguna Tides'

Emunator

Despite some tonal weirdness with the percussion/industrial elements, I always thought that Besaid Island had some really gorgeous melodies and chord progressions behind it. When remixing it, I wanted to place a greater focus on sound design while leaving the original melodies primarily intact, and essentially amplify the beauty of the source while still adding in some fun changeups and surprises to the structure.

This also marks my first submission that was completed entirely by me, without any direct assistance from other artists. Normally, when I'm writing a track, I find my skills deficient in some area or another and require some help getting the last 1% of the track up to par, and I was tempted to do the same with the synth solo at the end... it literally took months of trying before I was able to find an approach to that section that worked, but I'm happy I stuck with it because I learned a lot about synthesis and automation in the process.

I was influenced by artists like Tycho in the beats and synth design for much of this track. I had a lot of fun breaking away from my usual ethnic-house style and trying my hand at a more traditional chillout sound. Hope you enjoy!

Source:

Edited by Emunator

As with your other submission (Sub Zero), I had not heard the source song before listening to your remix. And as with the other one, wow I really don't like this source! The melody is nice but the backing is dissonant and what's up with that duck-like bass thing? Odd source. :-P

That said, I like your remix a million times better. You've represented the melody quite conservatively, but you made the backing chord structure so much nicer. Super relaxing ambient soundscape you've set up. I love how you've used percussion and the ocean sfx to give each section such a unique groove, that helps keeps the simple melody from getting old. And of course I love all the Omnisphere bell timbres!

I wasn't sure about that final solo before, I love the writing but the timbre (and its envelope) needed to grow on me. I think I now get the mood you were going for with that sound. I actually wish there was a bit more solo in that section, either with that sound or another additional sound, just to get a bit more of you in there.

The whole track is mixed really well and it's a nice chill listen.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Nice air of mystery here in the beginning. The chromatic percussion's timing was a bit rigid IMO, but the overall texture and mood of the piece is on point. Very smooth beat-driven take on this. The synth at 2:28 for the final flourish was an unexpected direction as well that I enjoyed. Loving the creativity of this approach, Wes! :nicework:

YES

I really like your approach here. The melody nails down the source connection, while you took a completely different approach with the supporting instrumentation.

Production wise, the shaker sounded like it sizzled too much in the high end when it came in at 1:31. It's a bit more subdued in double-time later, though it still bugs me a bit.

Nice use of various percussion elements throughout that. Great little touches throughout, to be honest.

Great stuff.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, I really love what you've done with this track. Unlike Chimp, I really enjoyed the source tune, but I like this even more than that. That solo at the end was so good, my only crit is that I wish the song had continued longer than that. Beautiful, expansive soundscape, and a fantastic treatment of the source material.

YES