*NO* Sonic & Knuckles 'Sanctuary Dream'

djpretzel

Now this is my kind of remix! Kind of deceptive at the beginning because I expected it to go into trance or dance. I an quite genre biased on this one, due to the beat, but I'll do my best to be objective.

Oh. It was all going well until 1.19. The synth that came in sounded quite wrong, perhaps some reverb would have made it blend it a little more. At 1.38: 8O. That piano needs some reverb soooo badly. I'm confused because the piano that came in before had plenty of it, so why does that piano suddenly sound so dry? It might sound like a small thing, but it really does spoil the mix.

At 2.55, here comes the non-reverbed piano again. At this section, the drum beat could have been substituted for a different one and then the main beat could come back at 3.32. I think that would make this a stronger submission. Ending was very sudden, although stylistically I guess it's ok.

I really enjoyed this mix for the most part, but the lack of reverb really spoiled this. Please resubmit, cause I really like this one.

NO (Please resubmit)

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - "Lava Reef Zone 2"

Opens up with some pads before bringing in the source tune at :21. Beats brought in at :40 are thick, but are too loud IMO. Electrosynth comes in at 1:19 with some verbatim treatment of the source melody, before switching off to a VERY mechanical piano synth lasting until 2:16. Malcos is right that the piano sample sounds really dry and messes up the feel; beyond that, you have to adjust the timing and velocities so that it doesn't sound like a robot is playing. Same at 2:55.

The drum kicks and hats are loud enough that they take the focus off of the piano and electrosynths involved, so you need to pull the beats back and let the real foreground material take center stage. Besides, after a while the beat patterns become repetitive and boring; you need to play around with the patterns more and change them up so they don't get stale. The ending section at 3:52 is rather uninspired as well and doesn't resolve the track nicely.

Make sure the melodic material is in the foreground, change up the beat patterns, get the piano performance sounding more humanized, and put more work into developing the melodic interpretation.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Jeez man, your beats are too loud and really ruin the whole piece. Turn that shit down. :(

The whole thing ends up sounding really empty. All you have is piano, some chromatic percussion, beats, and that lead synth. Where's the bassline? Beats like this demand a bassline working in tandem. Pads with more presence throughout the piece would be nice too.

You need to bring a lot more to the table than loud beats. Arrange the music more than playing continuo lines over a chord progression.

NO