*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'Avalanche Cometh!'

djpretzel

Email sub file Final Fantasy VII Avalanche Cometh! OC ReMix.mp3

Remixer: Eleminoh P.

Song Remixed: Opening/Bombing Mission from Final Fantasy VII

After my last experimental song was rejected, i decided to go back to what i feel i do best, orchestral arrangements. I was inspired after participating in the Indiana All State band where we played a song called Tempered Steel. So, i picked this already great song and created a powerful orchestral arrangement that i think kicks ass.

(Sorry, I have no website, so the song is attached.)

-Eleminoh P.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

Given that my DAP isn't working, this mix would want to be good for the 2 hours it took to download from the FTP. (I have no freaking idea why that hyperlinked.) I was actually watching the "remaining time to download" number go up for an antagonisingly long moment.

Call me hasty, but the first 10 seconds of the mix make me want to auto-NO. I can already hear how flooded the mix is in reverb. The drums pounded my poor unexpecting ear drums from the get go.

Just so you know, Sil already did an orchestral remix of this song, so you could've saved yourself some time and just listened to that.

What I can hear so far seems to be the source, minus most of the cool parts. The parts that are covered almost directly sound pretty cool and powerful in an orchestral setting (as demonstrated by Sil already as well.) But the rest is all this original tripe that just sounds awkward given the poor production. I can appreciate the remixer not just ripping the original, but I dunno if this was the best piece to try to experiment around with, since it's already a completely awesome tune the way it is, anything else just sounds like turd in comparison, especially stuffed right through the middle of the coolest parts of the source.

It's about 100 times better than what I could do with turning a piece this complex into an orchestral mix. But it's about 100 times less than what is needed to make it onto the site. (That's my kind way of saying NO.)

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 102 "Opening ~ Bombing Mission"

Odd sounds coming in at :08; can't even tell what they were. The instruments didn't really combine very well, leaving this rather cacophonous at times.

After :48, I agreed with the reverb issues; everything's way to flooded; you need to get things sounding much more balanced. Most times, there doesn't sound like there's any melody in the foreground. All of the your supporting instrumentation is upfront, and makes the track sound meandering and directionless.

Is that supposed to be a brass synth at 1:24, I just can't tell because it doesn't sound very good. Anyway, the rest of the track basically has the same problems the whole way through. Couple of sour samples in there, sure, but the main thing that throws this mix off is the poor sound balance. The various parts don't sound like they're working together; you need to rethink what goes where and produce the track accordingly. There's at least a decent base here underneath the muck.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I think I like this a little more than the above two judges did. There are some nifty compositional ideas here that I was really feeling, and I think the reverb issue is not all that significant (I've heard much worse in professional recordings). Production-wise the samples are used very well, with the brass and specifically the sax(es) being the weakest link. The main problem I have is the structure of the mix. Everything is more or less at the same dynamic level, and despite the fact that there are lots of variations and changes in the texture, overall there is not much development. It's more like a 4:02 mix of action cues rather than a standalone piece. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but from our perspective, looking at the big musical picture, I think you need more cohesion to pull the different ideas together.

I encourage you to sit down and take another look at this from the conceptual + structural standpoint, work on it a bit more, and resubmit. This is very close to passing, in my opinion.

NO