*NO* Perfect Dark 'Wasted in Chicago'

djpretzel

Remixer Name: NoWave

Email Address: nowave@gmail.com

Name of Game: Perfect Dark

Name of Individual Song: Chicago Stealth

I have so far submitted one classical piece and quite a few industrial pieces. This therefore will probably be mightily unexpected. This is a song done in a post rock style with live guitar with quite dub style intrumentation in the background. As with all post rock, the intention is to be quite cinematic, to take the listener away to another place. I hope it succeeds in this aim.

Some serious volume issues here. The drums, funky pads and background EP are all at such contrasting levels that the pads are too loud, the EP is too soft, you need to balance them out.

second issue is repetativeness. Over one minute into the mix and nothing is happening yet. 1:15 and that whatever-it-is is way too freaking loud, I'm talking distortion and ear-splitting loud.

I'm not listening to this anymore, this has buckleys chance of passing, fix up the awful production issues before you do anything else.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/usf/pdusf.rar - 20b "Chicago: Stealth"

Not a bad opening, but everything was really imbalanced. The guitar coming in at :07 should have been in the forefront for sure. Cool synth in there at :20, but way too loud, which took the focus away from the arrangement and merely drowned out the actual arrangement content. About a minute in and things were chill, but the beats were needlessly bland and repetitive and the sounds were completely imbalanced like TO mentioned.

Xylo/vibe-like deal coming in at 1:15 was in the foreground, but WAY too loud. The warbling effects and reverb were too pronounced, making everything sound too washed out at times. Sounded like everything is clipping in that section, and after the section dragged a bit by the 2-minute mark, it finally changed (via subtraction of that lead) at 2:10.

Track plodded along, but there seemed to be a cool idea to fade out the beats, only they didn't fade out all the way and simply came back to the same volume by 2:32. What was the point of that? It could have been a nice way to change the feel of the track entirely.

Guitar joined in at 3:03 along with the xylo-like lead. The guitar and drums here were so bland and weak, both the patterns/writing and processing. The added guitar and drums sounded so rigidly performed and pasted on top, it didn't gel with the other sounds in play at all.

The abrupt cutoffs of the cymbal fade at 4:07 and the guitar fade at 4:08 sounded really cheap and beginner-ish.

Some decent ideas here in terms of the genre and the atmosphere, Stewart, but the execution lacked on all sorts of levels. You really gotta spend time stepping up that game on your production and writing.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me, or are there some subtle popping/clicking noises here? Sounds like the kind of thing you might hear from a bad rendering or an improperly looped sample. For me that's really taking away from things, at least when I'm listening on headphones.

Anyway this is very repetitive. The entire first half of the song barely changes in terms of instrumentation, and it just bounces back and forth between two chords using one or two riffs. Not very interesting at all. At the halfway point I don't know why you would make it even more sparse because there wasn't much material there to begin with. The smattering of panned effects was pretty cool though, prior to the 'heavy' section. Said section is a little unbalanced though, which is disappointing. The guitar is a bit too loud, there's no prominent lead sound, and having a crash on every beat sounds very amateur. Even those things aside the progression isn't any more interesting, and the rhythms are extraordinarily basic. You can definitely be WAY more creative here with changing things up.

Some good ideas here, and a solid direction overall, but the reliance on repetition and some weaker production values bring this one down. Keep working at it.

NO