*NO* Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons 'Drowning in a Sea of Bass'

Chimpazilla

Your ReMixer name: urdailywater

Your real name: Aaron Corbitt

This is a song for the Lime of the Season Project. I highly doubt it'll even be on the panel by release date, but please don't do anything with this 'till that comes out.

Remix name: Drowning in a Sea of Bass

Source Game: Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons

Source: Sunken City:

This was a very fun song to do. It's pretty liberal in fact, 'cause the source is so sparse. I try my best to keep it in though, especially during the chorus parts. I try to especially put in a lot of source towards the end.

This was a first in trying a completely electronic, poppy, fore on the floor beat driven track. It was pretty fun to do and fun to listen to. I wasn't planning on submitting this at first, but I do feel like it's worth trying if anything. I enjoy it, hopefully you do!

oh yeah, this was majorly inspired by the kill me baby ed, especially the bass.

. if you didn't like this, that does a much better job at what was trying to be accomplished. dumb anime, catchy song.

--------------------------------

Sunken City:

Kill Me Baby (anime):

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

I'm not picking out much Sunken City here at all. There's a lot of original soloing that's cool but unrecognizable as Sunken City. In fact, this almost sounds more like a remix of the other source, the anime.

Ok, proper source breakdown time. I hear Sunken City melody (five notes) at:

0:03-0:18 15 seconds

0:46-1:01 15 seconds

1:12-1:16 4 seconds

1:30-2:00 30 seconds

64 seconds of a 120 second track, or 53%. It squeaks by, but still feels more like the anime tune overall.

On the production side, the lead is quite dry and piercy, needs some reverb. The drum groove is on autopilot. The production is not too bad but that lead is so dry. The song is super short and has an abrupt ending. This one isn't doing much for me, I'm afraid.

NO

Many thanks to Kristina for the breakdown, it helped me immensely. I'll admit I had some trouble hearing the source in your mix at times. While you scrape through with enough usage, I would encourage you in future mixes to hit a home run with source to prevent us from having to get out the calculator.

Length wise you also scrape through and thats ok, however I felt it ended before things could get interesting. In particular I was itching for a breakdown moment or something similar to build back up on. I felt this mix got to "the drop" a bit too quickly and never let up. For this kind of electronic genre you really need to play around a bit more with the arrangement to really make them want that chorus. For example, use of white noise drops and opening/closing filters on your synths could be effective in building up that much needed anticipation.

Your synth sounds are ok. I found your bends to be creative but a bit overused. You did some nice riffing here and there. The patches did become a bit bland after a while, likely because they don't really evolve too much sonically. In this kind of genre it pays to evolve your patches a bit with some modulation, and/or drop some instruments in and out to keep things fresh. Even throwing a different lead in here and there can change things up.

I have no huge production gripes.

I like the concept but I think this needs more work. You have your main chorus but you need to build up to things more.

NO

Edited by Jivemaster

I have to be honest, I wasn't feeling this very much. The synth sounds, while mixed and arranged pretty nicely, aren't grabbing my attention at all, and the arrangement is very static so there's not enough time to compensate for the simple sound design with a compelling, dynamic arrangement, either. There's very little in the way of grand, exciting breakdowns or transitions (in fact, I noticed the same filter sweep re-used a couple of times, which was off-putting for such a short track.) The writing and adaptation is probably the most interesting part of this, but as the other judges have pointed out, the source is only present half the time.

Not sure what to say, there's not much to latch onto here as a listener. I think Jivemaster did a great job summing up how I felt here with his vote :-\ Sorry dude. I've heard some solid submissions from you in the past but this one isn't clicking for me.

NO