Golden Axe - Wilderness

DOOM

Edit:

I've posted an updated mix on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/the-doom-1/the-wastelands-of-death-adder

Original post below:

Hey everybody,

I've been a huge fan of game music for a long time and never thought to do a game remix 'till now. Here is the first ever remix I've ever done. It's a heavy remix with a Cannibal Corpse-esque type solo.

As for production, I'm a home musician. I do the best with what I have - but I'm always open to hear if something was too loud/harsh/muddy for you. If you have a suggestions, please let me know what you were listening on. (Headphones, laptop speakers, home stereo, PC speakers, etc.)

I really enjoyed doing this, so I have more planned. If you have any suggestions, let me know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maZvMHn1jjI

Edited by DOOM
Updated mix.

Listening to this on headphones' date=' I think the bass and the lead could use a slight volume boost. The lead gets drowned in a few places, like at the very end of the solo.[/quote']

Thanks! I listened to them on my Sennheisers and the solo does get buried a bit.

----

Updated mix: https://soundcloud.com/the-doom-1/the-wastelands-of-death-adder

Edited by DOOM
Updated mix.

Don't know if it was youtube compression earlier, but this sounds a lot better. :)

It was a bit of everything. I opened the mix up more with a hi-shelf and did a more aggressive compression/limiter to help the song get a bit beefier.

Also brought down the snare and noticed out some muddiness.

Glad it sounds better for you! :<

The lead guitar (as far as I can tell) sounds kinda dry and narrow. Perhaps add some delay and general stereo widening to it?

Definitely nailed the oldschool death metal vibe - reminds me of Cannibal Corpse and Obituary albums of yore. Though I'm more of a Mercenary and Arch Enemy style of death metal fan myself.

Okay, like I promised, here's what I have to say about this:

So, first of all, the kick is missing a touch of lows to punch through; I can hear it, but it's a bit light in the bass (specifically at (90 ± 10) Hz by about (2 ± 0.8) dB). It's easiest to hear at 0:33 - 0:47 that the guitar in combination with the bass has a bit much bass (specifically at (100 ± 20) Hz, by about (2.4 ± 0.8) dB). Coincidentally, it seems like based on what I just said, the kick happens to be light near the spot where the bass happens to be too heavy on my audio system. I'm on Beyerdynamic DT-880 headphones that monitor cleanly at 30-20000Hz (where 20~30 is obviously hardest, naturally, to hear). These headphones specifically monitor the low bass range, midrange, and upper treble the best out of 20~20000Hz frequency range.

You do have a good guitar tone, and the drum tones sound suitable. The main issues I'm hearing are the bass mixing on the bass and guitar in combination with the kick. I also 100% agree with AngelCityOutlaw that the lead guitar at 1:18 is narrow. It sounds like it was recorded in mono, which is fine, but like he suggested, I would specifically suggest that it could have used some sort of stereo delay with a delay time of, say, 1/32 of a second in 60 BPM (you can calculate how long that would be for your tempo), to just widen the stereo field without adding an distinct echo (15 ms or more is distinguishable between the left and right speakers). If you want to see where I first learned that idea, it's here; just search "15ms":

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep10/articles/pt-0910.htm

Cheers, as you say. :-)

Edited by timaeus222

The lead guitar (as far as I can tell) sounds kinda dry and narrow. Perhaps add some delay and general stereo widening to it?

Definitely nailed the oldschool death metal vibe - reminds me of Cannibal Corpse and Obituary albums of yore. Though I'm more of a Mercenary and Arch Enemy style of death metal fan myself.

The lead guitar (solo) is straight down the middle while the other leads are at about 80% left/right. It does have a delay, but the free delay plugin (Kjaerhus) doesn't do much for me. In fact I need to play with it a bit more to be honest - but definitely want the solo guitar to sound better.

Cannibal Corpse for sure! That solo is a page right out of their catalog, lol. :)!! Thanks for the suggestions!

Okay, like I promised, here's what I have to say about this:

So, first of all, the kick is missing a touch of lows to punch through; I can hear it, but it's a bit light in the bass (specifically at (90 ± 10) Hz by about (2 ± 0.8) dB). It's easiest to hear at 0:33 - 0:47 that the guitar in combination with the bass has a bit much bass (specifically at (100 ± 20) Hz, by about (2.4 ± 0.8) dB). Coincidentally, it seems like based on what I just said, the kick happens to be light near the spot where the bass happens to be too heavy on my audio system. I'm on Beyerdynamic DT-880 headphones that monitor cleanly at 30-20000Hz (where 20~30 is obviously hardest, naturally, to hear). These headphones specifically monitor the low bass range, midrange, and upper treble the best out of 20~20000Hz frequency range.

Thanks for the notes. I don't have any high end audio gear to listen and mix from. Just a cheap pair of computer speakers and a pair of Sennheiser HD215's which don't much. I struggle with low end often due to these factors.

You do have a good guitar tone, and the drum tones sound suitable. The main issues I'm hearing are the bass mixing on the bass and guitar in combination with the kick. I also 100% agree with AngelCityOutlaw that the lead guitar at 1:18 is narrow. It sounds like it was recorded in mono, which is fine, but like he suggested, I would specifically suggest that it could have used some sort of stereo delay with a delay time of, say, 1/32 of a second in 60 BPM (you can calculate how long that would be for your tempo), to just widen the stereo field without adding an distinct echo (15 ms or more is distinguishable between the left and right speakers). If you want to see where I first learned that idea, it's here; just search "15ms":

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep10/articles/pt-0910.htm

Cheers, as you say. :-)

The guitar was built with the free TSE 808 and the LE456. I backed down the gain input and used a Marshall JCM900 GT75 impulse. I definitely agree with both of you about the lead guitar (and lead guitar in general I'm still not very good at recording yet).

Do you use a real bass or a VST library? Just curious.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I don't have an actual, physical bass, but I do use a VST library (specifically, Spectrasonics Trilian). An example of where I used it would be the Jazz Fusion Kirby's Dreamland mix I'm working on in the remixes forum.

I've heard their library before. It sounds really good. A bit out of my range at the moment, so I use http://corybrunnemann.bigcartel.com/product/texas-grind at the moment. I'd like to upgrade to Trilian in the future.