*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 & Sonic Advance 2 'Urban Renewal'

Emunator

Hey there OCR,

This was my first submission from The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2014. My zone theme was Metropolis Zone from Sonic 2, which is arguably one of my favorite zones in the game. I wanted to do a remix that captured a lot of the energy of the original source, but turned things up a notch with some layered synth instruments and some tasteful SFX and scratch sample use; something I think it particularly relevant in the Metropolis B melody section. Hot Crater makes an appearance in some of the backing parts throughout, but also is featured more prominently in the middle section of the track, as well as in the counter-melody that is playing off the classic Metropolis melody at the end of the song. Above all else, I wanted to create something both full of energy and a lot of fun. Enjoy!

My Contact Info:

My ReMixer name: SuperiorX

My real name: Matt Keller

My email address:

My userid: 28286

Submission Info:

Games arranged: Sonic 2 (GEN), Sonic Advance 2 (GBA)

ReMix Name: Urban Renewal

Songs arranged: Metropolis Zone, Hot Crater

Sources:

Metropolis Zone (Sonic 2)

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Suuuuper conservative take on this source. The remix started out strong and sounding good but quickly got into a very repetitive groove. I like the middle section the best but the lead writing is uninspired. The same square-ish lead plays all the verses in the track and also in the middle section.

I layered 0:28-1:09 together with 2:19-2:58 and from what I hear they are identical except that an additional synth countermelody has been added in that second iteration. I'm not finding this to be enough difference between the two sections. The track is mixed very well and sounds great but the arrangement is leaving me flat.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

The "Metropolis Zone" arrangement once it picked up at :28 was conservative and somewhat personalized, but was ultimately pretty by-the-numbers. The core beatwork at :28 was bland; combined with the conservative level of interpretation, the arrangement wasn't creative enough, though it was moving in the right direction.

The usage of "Hot Crater: Act 1" wasn't bad, but the arrangement of it was straightforward and the introduction of it at 1:51 didn't connect well or have much of a transition from the "Metropolis Zone" arrangement before it.

I agreed with Chimpa on the second iteration of "Metropolis Zone" feeling like a copy-pasta beyond the part additions. If the interpretation had been more substantial, maybe that could have been OK, but really it just feels like there needs to be more interpretation and that the concept isn't fully developed yet. Feel free to take another stab at this one, Matt, if you're interested.

NO

Larry totally nailed this. Bland beatwork and synths reminiscent of the original combined with a conservative arrangement make this a no go. Production is pretty solid apart from some bland sounds, but the arrangement needs a rethinking in order to pass. I hear some additions but they are minor ornamentations, not substantial additions. Sorry, Matt.

NO