https://soundcloud.com/zbad-1

Submission Information:

Silver Surfer (NES)

Surfing on the Silver Line

Stage 1 Theme

-------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

What a cool source this is. The remix is equally cool, great ideas. The writing is so similar to source that I checked to see if it was a midi rip, and I'm actually not totally sure. It doesn't line up exactly but the speed could have been varied a bit. The writing is much too similar, regardless.

The drumming is simple and repetitive for the most part, the hat pattern is relentless. I like the instrumentation ideas, but I can hardly hear the backing guitars, also they sound super fake. The more I listen the more I think this is a midi rip.

Anyway, great start, arrangement and writing needs more variation away from the source writing. Still, I find myself enjoying this and liking the instruments used.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly the mixing in your track needs work, the drums are drowned out throughout most of the track. You have a bit of low end mud in your mix that needs clearing up. Try a HPF or EQ across you instruments to remove bass frequencies that are not required on each instrument, to give those with required bass frequencies room to breathe. Some of the synths are clashing with other things frequency wise, this may/may not be solved by fixing the low end. Play it by ear and confirm everything is audible as you're mixing.

Drums are very basic and play a very loop-like pattern throughout. We need to see some more original work done there. Your kick and snare could do with replacement, however I might be critical of this due to the track's low-end muddiness. Perhaps they can work if the low end is cleared up.

On the arrangement side we need to hear more originality in your mix. You're pretty note for note in this track which is why we think it could be from a MIDI. You need to explore the source more and add your own interpretation.

NO

Edited by Jivemaster

What a cool source this is.

How...what...but... it's THE Silver Surfer level 1! How have you not heard this before. You're so dead to me. :<

Joking aside, pretty much on board with both votes so far. There's a lot of room for arrangement interpretation to get this away from what's essentially cover territory. I do like how we began to hear your original ideas near the end of the track, though.

Despite the overall mix sounding relatively quiet, there are times during the big hits where there's audible distortion in the soundfield due to problems with your levels.

You've clearly got potential as a musician, but this one would need a pretty big overhaul in both arrangment and production, I think. It's up to you, but in the past, I've found it's a good idea to set a current project aside and work on various tracks to get a well-rounded skill-set with mixing. It also helps you avoid spinning your wheels on a single track early on. Totally up to you of course. Good luck and I'm sure we'll be hearing more from you soon.

NO

Edited by Nutritious