OCR03154 - *YES* Mega Man 3 'Harder Than Steel'

Chimpazilla

ReMixer name: The Megas
http://www.themegas.com

Game arranged: Mega Man 3
Name of Arrangement: Harder Than Steel
Name of song arranged: Hard Man Stage

This is one of the tracks from our 2-part interpretation of the Mega Man 3 soundtrack - History Repeating. History Repeating: Blue was released in 2012, and the second half, History Repeating: Red (which includes this track) was released in May of 2014. If you like it, there's a lot more where that came from!

Edited by djpretzel

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting concept here with the vocals. Vocals are well performed. I like the mix of instrumentation with the guitars, synths and vocals. I'm finding the bass somewhat muddy and indistinct, otherwise the mixing is working well enough.

I'm hearing plenty of source and the arrangement is very good. I like the concept overall.

YES

• 1 month later...

For a 6:19-long track, I needed at least 189.5 seconds of overt source usage for it to be dominate in the arrangement.

:17.5-1:18.5, 1:35.75-2:54.25, 2:57.75-3:11, 3:15-3:28, 3:29.5-3:38, 3:40.5-3:45.75, 3:46.75-3:55, 3:57.5-4:02, 4:04-4:20.25, 5:52.25-6:02 = 218.25 seconds or 68.4% overt source usage

There were other chord progression connections that I didn't count, as well as a BARELY audible background synth playing the chorus from 5:31-5:48.25, but the overt source usage ultimately checked out anyway.

Onto the criticisms first, there was a bad transition back to the verse at 1:53; it was supposed to be smooth, but was actually pretty jarring, for whatever reason. Also, the background electrosynth lightly referencing the Hard Man melody from 4:04-4:20 didn't click with the other instrumentation, but it didn't stand out enough to be a huge deal.

Those were basically my only real complaints. Despite my source usage timestamps, if you're not ultra familiar with the source tune, you might think the arrangement goes too liberal after 3:29. It's still referencing the Hard Man theme a lot, but in more subtle ways while focusing primarily on original lyrics and instrumentation. It's definitely still there though.

The Megas are also known for smart lyrics that tell a cool story, and this one doesn't disappoint either with the boxing motif. Really creative, transformative approach per The Megas' usual!

YES

Thanks to Larry for the source breakdown. Gonna second Kristina's crit on the bass being pretty muddy sounding. Great performances overall, especially on the vocals. Drums really drove the energy of the track on the more intense sections.

Minor crit: I felt like the background vocals were a bit off-key/dissonant in places after 4:57. Still, the effect when combined with lead vocals were very cool.

Love it.

YES

• 2 weeks later...