Upgrading my environment...

Meh, sorry to ask so many questions but I am in the middle of upgrading my studio environment. First off, I need a new sound card (all I have is a Sound Blaster Audigy), preferably around $100. I plan on doing recording so that probably means something. Also, will I need to get an audio interface in addition to my sound card or are they one and the same?

Secondly, I'm getting a mic, I haven't decided which one yet but thats not the question. My question is, what all will I need if I get a mic? Do I need to get a mixer to control the mic and any other devices (like hardware synths)? And if I do, how do I route that into my PC?

Third, does anybody know of a good site for used audio equipment aside from ebay and craigslist?

And finally, I'm planning on upgrading from FLStudio to Sonar because I plan on working with audio more and the workflow with Sonar is so much easier for me than it is with FLStudio (basically the whole pattern based sequencing fucks up my ideas and often times I end up just looping stuff alot), is there any particular reason that one of you guys think this is a bad idea (aside from "lol FLStudio can do everything that every other sequencer can and they're just jealous because we 'saved' $300!")?

Meh, sorry to ask so many questions

Don't be sorry for your questions. Be sorry because of that mastodon of a signature.

First off, I need a new sound card (all I have is a Sound Blaster Audigy), preferably around $100. I plan on doing recording so that probably means something. Also, will I need to get an audio interface in addition to my sound card or are they one and the same?

"Audio interface" is a nifty name so you know you're not talking about an onboard box or gamer card. Obvious suspects; E-mu 0404 and M-Audio Audiophile 24/96.

Secondly, I'm getting a mic, I haven't decided which one yet but thats not the question. My question is, what all will I need if I get a mic?

Most likely a preamp, albeit that there are mics you can plug directly into USB, like this : http://www.zzounds.com/item--SAMQ1U

Do I need to get a mixer to control the mic and any other devices (like hardware synths)?

Do you have any other devices like hardware synths? Do you plan on recording these? If yes, then a mixer is handy, but an audio interface with more inputs is also handy. Just more expensive generally than a cheap small mixer.

And if I do, how do I route that into my PC?

You plug the mixer's outputs in the PC's inputs. It can't get any simpler than that :).

Third, does anybody know of a good site for used audio equipment aside from ebay and craigslist?

Harmony Central has a Classifieds section. Caveat emptor however.

is there any particular reason that one of you guys think this is a bad idea

If it works better for you, do it. Prove any naysayers wrong by making better music than you did before.

Secondly, I'm getting a mic, I haven't decided which one yet but thats not the question. My question is, what all will I need if I get a mic? Do I need to get a mixer to control the mic and any other devices (like hardware synths)? And if I do, how do I route that into my PC?

Like Yoozer said, you'll need some sort of a preamp, either on your audio interface, a mixer, or a stand alone pre. I'd recommend against getting a small cheap mixer (like a Behringer) because they'll add a lot of noise to anything signals that goes through them. If you have several things that you need to plug in, like a few mics and external synths, a mixer could be useful but just remember that the amount of tracks that you can record at once will be limited to the amount of inputs your audio interface has, not by your mixer.

And finally, I'm planning on upgrading from FLStudio to Sonar, is there any particular reason that one of you guys think this is a bad idea ?

Why would there be something wrong with this? If you don't like it, you don't like it. They're both good sequencers, but very different work flow. Just go with what makes you the most comfortable.

I'd recommend against getting a small cheap mixer (like a Behringer) because they'll add a lot of noise to anything signals that goes through them.

My two Behringer mixers don't add a damn thing to the signal that wasn't in the room already...

I was also thinking about buying a small "el cheepo" Behringer mixer (or a Tapco) before reading tgfoo's post, but now, I'm not too sure. Well, I guess $99 is better spent on an interface than a mixer. I'm more concerned about getting good samples/intstruments than a good mixer right now.

Well, some people like the really cheap mixers fine, but in some of the other forums I go to I've seen way too many people complaining about their 50-200 dollar Behringer mixers. I really do think that you're better off quality wise spending the money on a 1 channel pre amp, since most people don't usually record more than one track at a time.