*NO* Final Fantasy 10-2 'Memories of Color and Flow'

Liontamer

My alias is DorIImaA. "Memories of Color and Flow" is a remix of Final

Fantasy X-2's "Eternity ~Memories of Light and Waves~." It's melodies are

driven primarly by piano and flute, backed mostly by synth. As I've been

having a bit of trouble with my hosts (as well as to make it easier on you),

I'm going to include three links from which one may download the track:

Thanks for your consideration!

All of the background stuff sounds muffled and lo-fi, with overused delay effects on everything. Try to open up your soundscape more; everything sounds crowded.

However, at the same time, you've got some pretty sparse instrumentation here too. You could really benefit from some more bass (not the instrument, the range), as well as stronger percussive lines.

The arrangement isn't bad, but you could benefit from utilizing dynamics more.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.noderunner.net/~llin/psf/packs/FFX-2_psf2.rar - 101 "Eternity ~Memory of Lightwaves~"

I liked the glassy intro. The other instrumentation sounded very cheap unfortunately, the flute, piano and synths. Very unrealistic sounding and also sparse like DarkeSword mentioned. The effects definitely crowded up the soundfield, overcompensating for the thin instrumentation you had in place. Flesh the individual sounds out instead, then work on the broader effects. Agreed with DS as well on how there wasn't much in the way of dynamics.

Simpler section at 1:56 to 2:52 exposed the samples like nobody's business. Ending at 3:17 was really sudden and it simply sounded like you ran out of ideas. Samples cut out very cheaply at 3:28.

You really gotta step up the sound quality here and work on developing a more substantially evolving arrangement. Feedback from the Works forum coupled with research in the ReMixing forum will help you add some meat and spice to this empty blandness and start to realize your potential.

NO

Is it just me, or are all the ReMixes we get of this tune kinda... similar? I can't shake the feeling that I've heard this one before from someone else. Oh well.

This is not a big departure from the original. You changed around the instruments, but there's a limited amount of new or varied material. If you're doing your own unique interpretation you need to try to go above and beyond merely recreating an alternate version of the source tune, which is how this mix is sounding to me. The production isn't a whole lot better as it's pretty basic and there's an over-reliance on effects (mainly delay). The ReMixing forum would definitely be the place to go. You might want to start with the tutorials I've written, several of which cover the issues you are having here (realistic instrumentation & general production values).

All of the finer details aside, try to look at the big picture. Most game tunes, this one included, were written primarily as BGM. A proper ReMix however should really stand alone as its own song. There should be some sort of change and sense of dynamics throughout the song. Something should be there to hold the attention of the listener. An OCR-level interpretation will have these things.

NO