Remixer name: skitch_84

email addresses: skitch_84@hotmail.com, cjpmusic@hotmail.com

ReMix Info

Name of game remixed: Xenogears

Name of song remixed: June Mermaid

Name of remix: "Ma-meido"

Original Composer: Yasunori Mitsuda

Link to original: Available in your sound archive

Information about this remix: "Ma-meido" is my first submission to OverClocked Remix, though I've been a fan of the site for a couple of years now. Not only is this my first submission to the site, it's the first "remix" I've ever attempted. I was inspired to arrange "June Mermaid", from Yasunori Mitsuda's amazing Xenogears OST, for a number of reasons. First, Xenogears is THE game that got me to start paying closer attention to the music in the games I was playing. Second, my original intention was to actually give this arrangement to Mitsuda himself (I was lucky enough to be able to meet him at the Play! Videogame Symphony in Chicago this past May). Knowing this was coming I began to diligently work on it during the weeks leading up to the event. Unfortunately, I was not happy enough with the arrangement by the time the concert rolled around so I wasn't able to give it to him. But, that did allow me to spend some more time with it and get it, in terms of quality, to where I needed it to be.

The instrument arrangement itself is not all that different from the original (piano, strings, etc). I think the tone/mood of this arrangement, as well as the compositional passages of my own material, are what make "Ma-meido" fresh and, I hope, worthy of acceptance onto this site. *crosses fingers*

Possible notes of interest: I created this piece using Cakewalk's Sonar Music Studio. You may find the file attached to this email. Also, if you would like to listen to the piece without having to download it from this email first, it is posted at my website: www.myspace.com/cjpmusic, though it can't be downloaded from there.

Thank you, judges, for your time and I look forward to submitting future Remixes.

-Chris Porter-

(skitch_84)

p.s. I had a little trouble with the ID3v2 Tags. Please let me know if you need anything changed. I was especially puzzled by the "Part of a set" request; I'm not sure what my ID is. Thanks in advance for answering any questions.

-----------------------------------------------------

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/Xenogears_psf.rar - 204 "June Mermaid"

I'm a fan of the original, so if it gets messed up, I hurt j00.

Dunno why a 3:30-long track has been encoded at 125kbps VBR. It doesn't even sound good for VBR. Very muddy.

Piano performance sounds pretty stiff at times, and most of the notes sound plunky and barren. Couple of sour notes in there. Strings also sound extra synthetic and unrealistic. Things don't flow well; all in all, pretty rough to listen to. Terrible decay of the samples at 3:24; way too fast, which exposed the samples.

You need to beef up the piano work, but also need to learn how to create more realistic-sounding textures with your existing samples. Read up on ways to help do that in the ReMixing forum and post material in the Works forum for more feedback before you try to submit again. You need to acquire more experience on all levels.

NO

• 5 weeks later...

hmm...the composition is fairly interesting to me. what i immediately notice however is that the sequencing is mechanical, and the sample kind of blows. The bad notes that larry hears are probably intentional and there for effect. i have no problem with them.

the strings are similarly mechanical. the attack is too slow for the part.

try and get some better samples, and work on making the sequencing more natural.

NO

The biggest issues here are in the samples and sequencing. Simply put, the instruments sound fake and mechanical. There is not much more I can say than that. You need to upgrade your samples and sequence them in a more realistic manner. The ReMixing forum is the place to go for more help on that.

The arrangement here seemed a little on the sparse side to me, and the interpretation factor didn't strike me as being particularly strong either. Perhaps I'm just being biased because of the mechanical sample usage, though. Even if that is the case, the ending is DEFINITELY no good. It's overly abrupt and exposed, as Liontamer said.

NO