*NO* Secret of Mana 'Falling Leaves'

Liontamer

A terribly simplistic arrangement. There's not much going on here. Long sustained notes with a melody on top is pretty boring.

The second half of this song is pretty much the same as the first except with some percussion underneath. Sounds like you discovered the chopper in FLStudio.

This is really repetitive. You need to come up with ways of creating a more dynamic arrangement. At the very least, that boring intro before the percussion comes in has to go.

The general sound of this piece isn't bad, but you need more variation, especially in your percussive patterns.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=sd2 - "Spirit of the Night" (sd2-17.spc)

A terribly simplistic arrangement. There's not much going on here. Long sustained notes with a melody on top is pretty boring.

The second half of this song is pretty much the same as the first except with some percussion underneath. Sounds like you discovered the chopper in FLStudio.

This is really repetitive. You need to come up with ways of creating a more dynamic arrangement. At the very least, that boring intro before the percussion comes in has to go.

The general sound of this piece isn't bad, but you need more variation, especially in your percussive patterns.

Couldn't have laid it out better. Read what DarkeSword said again.

The drums coming in at 1:29 was basically the only dynamic change here, and quickly got boring through sheer brain-numbing repetiton. Brief break at 2:26, then choppa style, chop-choppa style, then right back into the same old shizz at 3:00, then choppa style again...verbatim...at 3:57. The arrangement's gotta be more creative than this. No need to say more other than...

NO

I hate to say it but I don't really have a lot to add either. My best advice for trying to make things more interesting would be to change rhythms more. Don't just play the melody back verbatim. Change the lengths of the notes, add some grace notes or triplets in there, perhaps write in a little riff during a rest, stuff like that. Also, use more interesting harmonies than just sustained notes played on pad-like instruments. Arpeggios can work well. Even a one octave trill would make things more exciting. As is, there is very little reinterpretation going on here. In addition some of the notes sound wrong when you hold the sustained notes in the harmony. I would go back to that and make sure everything fits together.

NO