humming noises and computers in the studio

I'm not sure if I should post this here or in tech help.

This isn't a computer problem, per-se.

I have the Studio RTA Producer's Station desk. (Pics here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Studio-RTA-Producers-Station?sku=546553 )

On the bottom-right side about half-way down, I have my computer in a Norco 4U rackmound server case mounted to the desk.

On the desk: Yamaha MG16/4 mixer, 2 KRK Rokit 5" monitors, Creative 5.1 surround speakers (for non music stuff), Lexicon MX200 processor and DBX dual channer EQ mounted on upper rack, Linksys Router, DSL modem, 19" CRT monitor, a telephone, several CD cases, a desktop mic stand, MXL 990 mic, a lexmark laser printer, required cables for all electic things, and various junk.

Since I've moved to this setup, There is this constant humming sound.

I've lived with it for a while, but I just noticed that it is being picked up by my mics in everything I record unless I turn the gain down to a level that isn't really acceptable. It is also starting to drive me nuts from just hearing it all the damn time.

I've eliminated everything sitting on the desk as the source. Turning off the speakers, mixer, printer, and CRT do not effect it.

However, turning off my computer makes it go away.

I did the obvious and checked the fans. They're fine. It wasn't that kind of sound anyways (fans grind), but I checked it just to be sure.

So, I am wondering if this is caused by vibration from the computer traveling into the desk with the slide-out shelf compartment acting like a resonator. I can feel a slight vibration on the desk surface.

What is the best war for placement of computers in a studio?

Also, where can I get silend PSUs and case fans? I haven't seen any on New Egg, but maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough.

On my setup, when I have a dvd in my dvd-drive, it sometimes makes a high-pitched sound. You might want to check your drives. Just turn off all your speakers(unpluging them might be better) and your drives, and see if it's your hardware.

Oh, I just thought of something. When I had some speckers inbetween my monitor and my PC box, it made a humming sound, try moving your speakers, after you try turning them off.

It's not a high-pitched sound. It's close to Bb1 (when Mid. C is C3) in pitch.

I really do not think it is the speakers. I personally haven't seen speakers hum when they are turned off. :/

I think it's the sound of my desk vibrating, but I am not sure.

I guess I should take it off the rack and see if the noise goes away. I'll try that tomorrow.

a low B-flat is approximately 60 Hz iirc, which is the frequency electricity pulses at (at least in the US)

if you've narrowed it down to your rackmounted PC, the only thing that might be emitting a 60 Hz hum is the power supply. so, replacing the power supply might help...

but if it is the actual vibration of the moving parts in your computer causing your desk to resonate then your only option is to take your PC out of it and put it on something that will absorb the vibrations.

hope that helps.