*NO* Chrono Cross 'People Seized with Life'

Liontamer

Info:

Remixer name: MaZe

Game remixed: Chrono Cross

E-mail: maze.mixer@gmail.com

song title: People Seized with Life

style: trance

hey again. I thought i'd give it another try. This time with a track from Chrono Cross. I didn't feel like looking up all the correct info just yet, since i'm not sure if this'll even reach the panel :s.

Enjoy.

-MaZe.

As a trance piece, the only way to properly judge these is to try and imagine it without the beats. Since the difficulty level of making trance beats sound good is roughly on the same level as putting on your shirt the right way.

The instrumentation in this mix isn't impressive. The synth sounds are dry, basic and not very interesting to listen to, not the kind of thing you want people to think when listening to trance. You need more than just good beats to drive a song, and I think you know that since even you lacked the confidence in thinking this would pass.

I couldn't tell what the source was, but it doesn't really matter. You need to work on the way you produce your sounds before anything like this will pass. Don't rely on good beats to come to the rescue of hollow sections where you haven't quite managed to fill the soundscape with the right instruments/samples.

Also, get a better host. I've downloaded this 5 times now and never quite managed to get to the end of the piece.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure it takes some effort to make the beats phat. Dunno how short TO was selling it.

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/Chrono_Cross_psf.rar - 216 "People Seized with Life"

I just don't get why the mix title is the same as the original. Everything here could be phatter, but the groove seems decent enough. The electrosynths are somewhat generic, so you need to employ the various effects and processing at your disposal in order to create more unique textures. Stuttering melody at 2:19 is pretty standard for the genre.

The genre adaptation of the arrangement is ok; It's done reasonaly well, but you're still basically using the melody, nearly untouched, only fitted to the genre. I'd love to hear some original sections or original composition ideas woven into the melody to make things more personalized.

The production's not half-bad, but the track is still noticeably empty; like TO said, the beats are trying to overcompensate for the relative emptyness and dryness of the track. You've gotta flesh this out with denser sounds and a more complete soundfield to have a better shot. And give the arrangement its own name, yes? Nonetheless, you're noticeably improving and shouldn't be discouraged at continuing in the community.

NO (resubmit)

i don't mean to single any of my friends out but i have to say this because it is really grating on me.

to make a statement like "Since the difficulty level of making trance beats sound good is roughly on the same level as putting on your shirt the right way " is to be awfully trite. also, i believe he was remarking that the track might not even make it TO the panel; not through it.

let's just stick to our conventional burdens of objective judgement, no?

this track has only one distinct weakness and that is the quality of arrangement. it doesn't do anything as far as melodic direction. i don't think the drums are trying to overcompensate for a lack of arrangement, i think the drums are simply doing what drums do in the genre. it is just that the track stays in one gear for the entire time. flesh out the arrangement. don't beef up your instruments too much more, though... they're already pretty dense. what's missing in the soundfield is more music, not more sound. so, layering original harmonies with the source melody that you have moving through most of the track will give it more breadth musically and fill out your soundfield. like liontamer suggested, even an original section that transitions smoothly from the original source would work very well to vary up the melodic focus of the piece.

i think that, for a beginner trance piece, this has a lot of potential and already accomplished quite a bit. it isn't going to end up on the site, unfortunately, because it has too many fundamental arrangement flaws in it that keep it from being engaging or entertaining enough.

give it some life and bring it back to us.

NO