*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Technodome'

Liontamer

Hey guys,

I've just finished my first remix yesterday and would like you to judge it. Basically it's an ambient/atmospheric remix but it should also have a recognizable source tune espically at the end...

Quick Info about me:

ReMixer: Piano Forte

Name: Alex

Site: http://mitglied.lycos.de/pianoforte23/Musik/

ID: 26410

Quick Info about the song:

Game: Chrono Trigger

Songs: Ruined World, Sad Theme

Links: I think the Sad Theme is not in your archives...I downloaded it at http://www.midishrine.com/index.php?id=5 name wtcsad

You can download my remix at

enjoy

Piano Forte

Interesting intro, those sound effects are strange and kind of cool.

Atmosphere, digging it so far. Good deep bass string, pads, acoustic string. It's taking a fair time to get to the meat of the mix, and those strange atmospheric effects in the background are starting to become annoying.

They finally disappear after 2 minutes, the atmospheric feel of the mix picks up a notch with some fuzzy choir-ahh's taking over. I'm liking the production side of this mix, since its achieved the major goal of being an enjoyable atmospheric mix to listen to. However the arrangement is so simple and drawn out that I'm hesitant to even consider it a remix.

When the melody comes in around 4:00, it sounds out of place to be honest. You've set up this background and atmospheric feeling that seems so much slower than the actual melody of the source. But when it comes in it just ends up sounding like it was pasted over the top of your mix. I think this would have worked out better if you'd gone as far as rearranging that melody from the end to be more in-tune with the feel of the mix. Also give your mix a proper ending.

You have a good basis here, it just needs more attention to detail.

Also, any judges wondering, the second source is "At the bottom of night", rather than "Sad Theme."

NO

• 2 weeks later...

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "Ruined World" (ct-2-01.spc) & "At the Bottom of Night" (ct-3-03.spc)

Not bad for a first sub. Interesting intro. zyko would find it interesting. "Ruined World" arrangement kicks in at :23. Definitely some cool textures; a bit simplistic, but interpretive. That modulated synth DOES tend to get annoying after a while. Would rather hear you vary up the extras to create a nice evolving, morphing arrangement.

Vox comes in at 2:03 functioning more like a pad, so it but it strains for credibility with the way the notes are held since it still sounds like voices. 3:30 in, and the arrangement and instrumentation of "Ruined World" hasn't changed a bit since it started at :23, so we're already cruising at a solid NO.

Things finally changed at 3:42 with some bubbly synths and swirly pads before, indeed like TO said, lazily pasting "At the Bottom of Night" right on top of the pads with 0 cohesiveness whatsoever. Those two portions of the track didn't fit together in the slightest, plus there was no ending.

Started off decent enough before hitting cruise control, while then proceeding to swerve off the road entirely and come to a sudden stop.

well whaddya know. i DO find the intro quite interesting. i'm digging the textures you're bringing in... the acoustic guitar, the vocal pads, i think you needed a few more textures to keep the thing fresh but it is quite calming.

this was strikingly like vangelis (particularly his blade runner work) but unfortunately the last section does kill it. there is no question about it; you ought to have changed the backdrop a bit when you brought in the melody. frankly, that is one of my favorite video game melodies ever; i'll never forget mellogear's remix of it or beej's. both captivated me to no end. so i'm especially critical and what i hear is exactly like what was said before me... it feels slapped onto the atmospheric synth work. the other problem is that ending. perhaps it is what you intended specifically but it is sort of awkward... just pointing it out

but this is where i'm going to disagree with TO and LT. i like this mix a lot. i'm sure everybody expected me to but really, its very good. i disagree about the vox pad not being effective. it does precisely what it was intended to do; i feel like i'm watching blade runner, its riveting. however, you're going to have to fix up the last section when you bring "At the bottom of night" into the fray because it is too awkward; even for the liberal amongst us

do me a favor. redo that part; make it more interesting, make it unique. bring it back. i will give you a yes.

NO resubmit.