Liontamer

Contact Info:

* Artist: Phoenix 44

* Name: Jordan McGee

* Email:maroon.fox@gmail.com

* Site: http://www.freewebs.com/cheetahprodinc/jordanmcgee.htm

* Account Name: Ch33tah

* Game: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time

* Song Time: Zelda song of time (P44 Trance Remix)

* Comment: This remix is definately something that really gives the impression of time travel while keeping the original ocarina in there.

I, Phoenix 44 am Ch33tah am registered as Ch33tah, just to let you know.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the source isn't much.

From 0.10, it is obvious that the sampled ocarina sample isn't fitting in timewise. Perhaps it would have been better to get an ocarina from a soundfont? The main problem I have with this is that it doesn't expand on the original source melody at all, and just repeats it again and again. Granted, the mix is short, but it still gets very repetitive. Add some more originality to this, some personality - right now it's just cookie cutter stuff in every way.

NO

The sampled ocarina has some light lossyness you can hear in the intro, but it was covered up soon enough.

Gotta do more than present the same few notes of the melody several times with different samples. The arpeggiated notes at 1:42 were along the right track, but was just a staple trance move. The piano at :34 sounded very plinky, too tightly quantized, and thin. Most of the synths were pretty cookie cutter as well as generically processed.

Do more creative things with changing the rhythm, the progression, the overall character of the source tune. Don't repeat the melody over and over again without something more creative to offer in the presentation. You did vary up the lead instrumentation a fair amount and sometimes dropped the beats out for some dynamic changes, but a 2:34-long piece needs to evolve more substantially than that.

Work on presenting something that goes beyond the basics of both arrangement and production.

NO

I'm hungry! Where's the meat? There is little to no interpretation in this remix, I'm sorry to say. Production's decent, but the arrangement is as hollow as a log. You repeated the Song of Time almost verbatim, in different textures, but with no rhythmic changes or original material added. Not bad at all for someone so young. However, it sounds like you've just gotten comfortable with whatever music software you have.

Remixing according to OCR's standards of rearrangement can take quite a while. If it's not for you, nothing wrong with that. But if your goal is to get a track up on this site, time to explore all the wonderful possibilities of musical interpretation and character! Good luck, and I hope you continue to hone in those skillz. ^-^

NO