Star Wars Battlefront: Beta

Kat

Started on Oct. 8th and goes until Oct. 12th. It's free to play during this time, but will release on Nov.12th for $59.99.

So I've been playing it on the PC. Not sure how I feel right now though. It feels more like a reskinned Battlefield. I've mostly played Drop Pod so far, but it's very twitch-based and death filled. You spawn in a random location(or can choose "Partner Spawn" to respawn near an ally), which often means you'll be in a prime position to be gunned down by someone else. You might be lucky enough to spawn behind an enemy, but I rarely see that happen. It's not terrible though - It does get rid of most spawn camping issues. Not sure if the 50/50 chance of being killed seconds after spawning is worth it though.

I regularly find myself having trouble hitting anyone, while others seem to hit me every single time and often from a great range(with non-sniper weapons, even). We're talking ranges where on my end I can't even get them in my pin-sized targeting reticule before being gunned down, yet they can hit me perfectly while I'm moving. I could shoot someone multiple times from behind, and more often than not they turn and headshot me before I can even react. I probably just suck though. I haven't played a proper FPS(outside of Splatoon) in ages. It does makes me wonder what the value of the different weapons is - Why should I bother using the sniper styled weapons if I can snipe from the same distance with a normal rapid-fire blaster(and more effectively, apparently)? The close-range rapid-fire low damage blaster pistol seems similarly useless, because the longer ranged higher damage slightly-less-rapid fire rifle can do the same thing and any distance.

Despite this issues, there's still some entertainment. Walker Takedown is awesome if you get your team on track. It doesn't explain anything, much less the "how" of how to take down an Empire Walker. I mean, we all know how you do that, they just changed it up a lot. You have to activate two beacons to get a bomber to attack the walker(lowering it's shields), and -then- you can tie it's legs and potentially insta-kill it or just bombard it to death. Even if your team doesn't get this down, that whole map is pretty fun.

At this point I probably won't buy it. Too many issues. Still somewhat entertaining, I guess.

Not planning on buying it, doesn't seem like enough content.. solid discount purchase though when the time comes. Beta seemed kinda vapid and empty. Not overly familiar with the original Battlefront games but hopefully this one will have more substance than just "Here's a bunch of Star Wars things in a level, go nuts". Even the soundtrack seems boring and full of "this sounds like star wars!" cliches... just so basic

Makes me wish the cancelled Star Wars games were still active :-(

Well, day 2 of Beta and I don't feel all that differently about it. I'm seeing a ton of "Fairfight Banned" messages, so I'm assuming there's a lot of cheating/hacking going on that's being taken care of. I had a guy(on my team) who had 60 kills and only 2 deaths. Considering I can't often walk from spawn without dying in some way I find that a little absurd. I still find myself being shot to death, only for the kill cam to show my killer as a tiny red outline on the other side of the map. I can't seem to grasp how you can accurately kill someone from that range with a shorter range blaster rifle, yet these people aren't being banned so I can only assume this is how the game is intended to be played. I occasionally manage to pull this off as well. If this is how it's supposed to be I'll probably pass.

Additionally, you start off Multiplayer with nothing but the basic rifle. Meanwhile, the other players are jump-packing around(that's one of the last and most expensive items you can get) or using personal shields(also one of the later unlocks, but cheap) to laugh at you and escape. I finally hit Rank 5(the max for the Beta) and unlocked the last blaster. It's described as having an excellent rate of fire and doing a ton of damage over range. I haven't used anything else since(and it seems most people who have it unlocked are doing the same) because why would I? It have an amazing rate of fire, amazing range and amazing damage and that translates perfectly to close range fights as well. And moving/jumping/etc doesn't effect your accuracy or spread at all, which only makes it the more obvious choice.

It looks like star wars, and it feels like it on occasion. When the music does kick in it's ok, although it relies on well known John Williams scores for most of the music. Heroes are powerful and kill any non-hero in a single hit. They can also have epic fights with other heroes(though those seem to degrade to the usual "circle around the opponent while swinging" strategy). I saw a Tie-fighter suicide crash into a Darth Vader to take him out. I guess that was pretty entertaining. In the end though, it just feels like another FPS with Star Wars tacked onto it. Still giving the rest of the beta a shot but I'm not particularly hopeful at this point.

Not planning on buying it, doesn't seem like enough content.. solid discount purchase though when the time comes. Beta seemed kinda vapid and empty. Not overly familiar with the original Battlefront games but hopefully this one will have more substance than just "Here's a bunch of Star Wars things in a level, go nuts". Even the soundtrack seems boring and full of "this sounds like star wars!" cliches... just so basic

The previous Battlefront games were populated by a ton of NPCs alongside the players. You had various classes, from snipers and heavy weapon users to engineers that could repair(or sabotage) vehicles. You were only sniping people with sniper rifles because using other weapons to snipe was generally a bad idea. A lot of the gameplay revolved around helping the NPCs with objectives to get a win. Vehicles were already on the field, and the ability to play as a Hero was somewhat randomly offered to any player rather than placed as a powerup on the map. This game likely changed all of that to focus on being a Star Wars themed Battlefield.

I played for a few hours the other day.  Entertaining enough, but not something I'd spend $60 on.

I would agree completely. It was fun driving around the AT's and using turrets, but the non-Hoth stage was super dumb and boring, and it felt somewhat unbalanced on Hoth. Since no one is organized, it's way harder for rebels to defend the communications uplinks, whereas the empire just needs someone to get in the AT-AT and then rack up 10 kills super easily. I had a lot of fun for a few hours, but I don't think the value is there for $60. The graphics were amazing to me, and the lighting and textures were awesome.

The vehicles were generally good,though flying is difficult to do anything with, I (and most people in my games) generally just crashed into stuff. I'd be curious to see the other levels, but I have enough games right now to play that I don't feel the need to get this. 

I've had some fun today, but I'd still agree it isn't worth the $60. In Hoth I usually see the same people getting the AT's and getting a lot of kills because they know exactly where the power up spawns and rush it. I once got it and it was super easy to kill anything, what with having an orbital strike with a 30 second cooldown and a variety of weapons that kill nearly instantly. Once the Empire gets AT's, turrets and anything up in the air the Rebel side is pretty much SOL.

it says Star Wars in the title.

And on the box art. All three of the box arts.

Also the website.

(And the website header)

And the Origin application name.

But I assumed he meant it's not an actual Star Wars game and is just using the brand for sales. DICE did a great job making it look and sound like Star Wars at the very least.

It felt sufficiently Star Wars to me when I was playing it as well. 

And on the box art. All three of the box arts.

Also the website.

(And the website header)

And the Origin application name.

But I assumed he meant it's not an actual Star Wars game and is just using the brand for sales. DICE did a great job making it look and sound like Star Wars at the very least.