Game: Chrono Trigger

Name of Song: The Day the World Revived

--Comments--

Song written in FL Studio 5 using:

-A couple of drum samples for the hiphop style beat and the marching snare

-Vanguard for the deep bass pad

-Zeta+ for the muffled supersaw synth

-Piano Soundfont for the piano (duh)

-Edirol Orchestral for the strings and the orchestra percussion.

-Rain Effect

I was definitely feeling the first :35. You had some cool ideas there, and the atmosphere was something that I thought was quite fitting. After that it went a little downhill, though. The big kick that came in just seemed out of place (no problem w/ the snare though), then at :52, the strings were playing chords that didn't sound quite right. Something about the voicing, I'm not sure exactly what, but please take a look at it again because it doesn't sound good at all. At 1:26 there's just more repetition with the addition of the somewhat dry marching snare. The string stuff still sounds muddy + off. Finally, you close it out at 2:00 with a little bit of variation, but underneath that it's still just repetition.

I think you've got the right idea when it comes to interpretation but this is too repetitive. Even though the source tune is short, you can add your own original material to expand it. Use other themes from the game if you have to, or even change around the melody, chords, or harmony of the tune. You may have arleady heard it, but use the remix of this theme by Tyler Heath and myself (When All Hope Has Faded) as an example of how you can add a LOT of additional material to even this short source tune and be well within the standards of the site.

Anyway, just keep practicing and don't forget to check the Work in Progress and ReMixing forums for help.

NO

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "The Day the World Revived" (ct-2-06.spc)

Listen to zircon. Cool intro, definitely. Beyond that though, there was little development of the source theme; this brief mix being at such a slow tempo meant little in the way of substance. Some weak beats underneath the original added at :35. Strings added at :52 sounded fairly unrealistic, and only provided minor embellishment for a very conservative approach. You gotta be more.

NO

Basic piano plus delay effect doesn't really impress me as much as it seems to impress Larry and zircon. Percussion is just as bland as the piano. It's ok to use a delay effect on a piano, but if you rely on that effect to make the piano sound more full, it becomes kind of obvious and doesn't sound professional.

The marching beat switch up around 1:25 is too subtle, it doesn't really work in the context that you've tried to make it sound like it's built-up from the first section.

Generally the arrangement is creative, but it's repetitive and over-reliant on the delay effect on the piano to fill in the gaps. You need to put in a lot more effort on the actual arrangement and not just rely on tacky effects to push your piece through.

NO