*NO* Super Castlevania 4 'Belmont Triumphant'

Liontamer

My name is Jonathan Ferrari, also known as Albino Skullfuck. I understand that could be inappropriate, so i'll gladly go by DJ 6-String. My song is titled "Belmont Triumphant" and is a remake of the opening theme to Super Castlevania 4. The song can be heard at www.myspace.com/albinoskullfuck

Thanks for your consideration.

- Jon Ferrari

-------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=scv4 - "Theme of Simon" (scv4-04.spc)

Decent stuff, albeit not well-produced and not entirely cohesive. Why is this track at 96kbps/22kHz anyway? Synths opening up the piece were pretty weak. Pretty straightforward geetar coverage of the source tune without very much in the way of personalizing it (or having interesting drums). 1:48 merely rinses and repeats the previous stuff.

Good idea for that second guitar complimenting the melody, but there really should be more personalization and interpretation beyond that.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

i absolutely hate judging castlevania tracks. the whole thing is forever cursed. for one, i think castlevania music ought to be considered a genre of its own. it is very characteristic because as gothic and heavy as it is, it is also very likely (i probably ought to know if this is true or not) written mostly by bassists because the music is also very bassline driven unlike most gothic, metal music.

i'm ranting.

my point is, it is unique but because its initial presentation as console music was already coined, it is increasingly difficult for remixers interpret it without sounding exactly like the original on several different points. and still manage to entertain because the source is so good.

and i dont' even like castlevania music.

to the mix.

no way, i've heard half of these arrangement ideas in half of the arrangements of this particular track before, dude. you've got to come with it a little different if you're gonna be barkin up the castlevania tree and tackling a very popular track off of it.

the breakdowns around .50s into the piece and consequently through out are probably everybody's favorite stretch of the original and at least you attempted to do something a little different and odd wit it but it wasn't enough to save the track.

the little groove you got goin around 1.40 is kinda cool, too but again not enough.

there are other problems too like the drums throughout the second half of the track. they sound like midi rip doubled up on itself with some nasty misused delay. either way, not effective and a huge turnoff.

the track doesn't have enough merits to get past me. maybe it's the track's curse, the game's curse, but there's something inherently hard about qualifying a remix such as this one. you really have to come with it in order to break through the crowd and grip the audience.

NO

first off, congratulations on having the second filthiest name of any artist i've run across to date. don't really feel like sharing the MOST filthy, as shit like that shouldn't be encouraged.

moving on,

the production is pretty weak and there's not enough arrangement going on for me to buy into it.

that dry organ patch at the beginning is really weak. just a thought.

not a terrible cover, but we're looking for a little bit more on both the production and arrangement end.

NO