*NO* Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 'An Oath of Destiny Fulfilled'

djpretzel

Don't know why he put "Sonic & Knuckles" as game name :) Production could use improvement but arrangement seems nice?

- djp

-----

• Remixer name: D.J. Savery
  • email: 
  • user ID: 47180
ARRANGEMENT: Orchestrated
  • Name of game(s) arranged: Sonic & Knuckles
  • Name of arrangement: "An Oath of Destiny Fulfilled"
  • Name of individual song(s) arrange: "Oath to Order", "Giant's Theme", "Zelda: Main Theme"
  • Composer: Koji Kondo, Toru Minegishi
  • System: Nintendo 64, Nintendo 3DS

Zelda "Majora's Mask" is probably the most loved Zelda game that I have ever played. I love games that kinda breaks away from tradition, and MM did just that. From being able to use multiple masks to change the gameplay of zelda, to constantly playing the Song of Time (and it's variations) and restarting the giant clock multiple times, It is a sure lock at the top spot in my book. Collecting all those masks was a sure pain though -_-        Now for the remix, I always wanted to do this song. I first heard it when I downloaded the MM Soundtrack. I feel it's a call for help. Help from four giants who lost a friend to evil, and would do anything to save him, including holding the moon up to heed the destruction of Termina.        This was a very hard song to articulate while making a true "remixed" version, as well as trying to stay as close to the original as I can. The hardest part was the build up portions of the song. Koji Kondo and Toru Minegishi really made it difficult for me to remix just because of how great of a job they did; however, no task is without a challenge.         I really wanted to focus on the effect on Link as he travels through the land of Termina. I emphasized the effect of the "Oath to Order" to make it reflect the importance of him saving Termina. I am proud of the finished product!        Here is the youtube channel for the song. Just like fire emblem, it kinda explains the feel of different portions of the remix. Hope yall enjoy! Be Blessed!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teCAobgEZvc

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Such a great idea to combine these sources, and into such a soulful tune.  I really want to like this, but I feel like it takes soooo long to get started, and I'm not sure it ever really does.  It feels like the arrangement consists of multiple buildups that don't lead to any real drop, but only to another section that starts another buildup, and again, and again.  The sequencing is stiff and the mixing is lifeless.  I actually really like this arrangement idea for these sources, in theory, and it seems promising, but there isn't enough substance here to hold my attention ultimately.  The entire track seems to be leadless... which can be fine in certain contexts (background music), but I personally need some kind of lead to maintain my interest for six minutes.  The sfx are cool, but they aren't really helping to tell the story so they just seem out of place.  Nearly overcompressed at 4:23, I feel like that part distorts.  Lots more work to do for this to make it for me.

NO 

• 2 months later...

I found the arrangement overall to be pretty well done. I can kinda see Kris's complaint about lots of builds, but I felt like the track was established by 2 minutes in, and while a bit long, I didn't feel like the 2 minutes were too slow to get there. I do feel like at times the arrangement gets a bit too choppy, like the 2:30-3:15 mark having a few complete pauses in a row. 

To me the bigger issue is the production here. Right from the opening piano everything feels pretty mechanical. I'd love to hear you go through this and work on humanizing the parts to really bring the performance to life, especially sections that are meant to be more delicate. Along with that, I wasn't personally feeling the piano sample, and the ocarina sample used later on. 

You're definitely on the right track here, and I think some refinements will really make this shine. Definitely hit up the WIP forums to get some more feedback on how to improve, and I'd love to hear this again!

NO (resubmit)

• DragonAvenger changed the title to 2015/02/07 - (2N) Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 'An Oath of Destiny Fulfilled'

Gonna echo Deia's comments regarding the mechanical piano.  Harp suffers from a bit of the same.  String stabs around 2:49 sounded rigid as well and a bit out of place, sonically-speaking (sounding far away and lower-fi than the other elements.  Horn at 3:05 isn't a bad sample, but doesn't really sound realistic due to how exposed it is.

Nice, lush soundscape in general here.  The direction/building crit didn't strike me as an issue, personally. Though, I could see the desire for a bit more direction and/or payoff to the builds, I suppose.

Sounded like the mix was pushing the compressors a little too hard, like at 4:24, 4:47, & 4:52.  I get trying to have a contrasting louder section for additional impact, but it sounds like it's too much for the software to handle.  I think you can pull it back a bit without losing the dramatic effect.

Arrangement-wise, this one doesn't stray too far from the original in terms of melodic interpretation.  However, there's a lot of additive work and detailing that bring a lot to the arrangement as well as a lot more in terms of builds, drop offs, and overall flow.

Overall, I like this piece.  The last quarter of the piece really grabbed my attention the most.  With some tightened-up production, this should be a go.

NO resubmit, please

• Nutritious changed the title to 2015/02/07 - (3N) Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 'An Oath of Destiny Fulfilled'