*NO* Legend of Zelda: Major's Mask 'escape unnoticed'

djpretzel

Is this drumstep? Sounded like big beat, to me. Would love to know the difference. Lead gets repetitive, but there IS a respite. Could use the feedback.

- djp

---

CONTACT INFORMATION:
Remixer Name: SEVEN MARTYR
Email Address: 

SUBMISSION INFORMATION:
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Name of Arrangement: Deku Palace The (Drumstep Remix)
Song Arranged: Deku Palace Theme

hello
i would like to amend my submission (i'm autistic so sometimes i get confused)
the name of my arrangement is called "escape unnoticed"
sorry for any inconvenience

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Intro piano is stiffly sequenced but I like the delay on it.  Great drop at 0:22 but it needs to be signaled somehow, with just anything used to introduce it, even a white noise sweep.  Drum groove is great when it enters, kick is too quiet, needs more impact.  The bass sounds good but it is so low, on some playback systems it won't even be heard.  This bass sounds like a good sub-bass layer that would do well with something a little higher frequency layered with it.

The lead is the biggest issue to me, the timbre is so plain and simple, and the writing is so repetitive and verbatim to source.  The looooong notes are a particular problem, if you sidechained the kick to that lead just a bit, it would groove so much better.  You could also add some subtle glitching, phasing, or something else to the lead during the long notes especially, to really make a statement.  A little original lead solo at some point would be dynamite.  Good buildup at 2:30, could even be longer and more intense.  That's the kind of thing that is needed before the first drop as well.

This is a really good start!  It's not quite there yet but please don't give up on it!  Take the opportunity to learn a bit more about mixing and then let's hear this again.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 months later...

Kris's feedback here is just right. That kick definitely needs some more oomph, and overall that lead is overall a bit too plain. I really don't have much to add here, but I'd love for some variation to the melody, even some little runs, or some harmonies to give the track a little extra something. Hope to hear this again!

NO (resubmit)

• DragonAvenger changed the title to 2015/04/04 - (2N) Legend of Zelda: Major's Mask 'escape unnoticed'

Yep, I also agree with everything Kris has said here. I have to say my personal main issue is with the lead, which could really use more expressivity and variation throughout. I think it's a great base for an interesting lead, and I strongly recommend looking into using pitch bends, occasional portamento slides and vibratos to add more personality to the writing. I also recommend trying to move your lead higher at some point in the track, maybe even just by shifting the melody up by an octave, to kick epicness up a few notches (be careful doing this, though, as going too high and too loud can become harsh on the ears). Another idea to add more variation could be to add a second lead sound with which you can alternate the melody, to move the colors and textures around a bit. I suggest listening to some Willrock, who is an awesome reference for synth lead writing.

I also agree that the low bass is a good start, but it lacks definition, which I also think could be fixed by layering it with a higher sound. Kris's advice on the structure is also spot-on, and I strongly recommend using it to attempt improving your track.

This is a good start. Best of luck, and I'm hoping to hearing this reworked!

NO (resubmit)