Majora's Mask - Astral Observatory Remix

Zumbach

https://soundcloud.com/zumbach/astral

I made this about half a year ago. Judges didn't like it, and suggested I post here for feedback.

So basically, when people listen to this song, I want them to feel nostalgic, bring back the retrieval cues of the world ending, and just have overall chills.

How would I go about making this not repetitive? This is a very common problem for me when it comes to making music, and making music is basically a dream job of mine..

How about mixing and mastering?

Edited by Zumbach
fixed link

I almost missed the fact that other instruments were present. The hi-hat, kick and bass were almost unnoticeable. The piano line (Nexus?) was pleasant though. Regarding the repetition: at the trap 'drop' you're going for, it may be a good idea to do a lot less with the piano, or remove it entirely so the other instruments have enough room to breathe. Like, chord stabs or something, just enough to float over the hi-hats and bass. Also the atmospheric pad you have from 1:13 on is dissonant enough, but it really does clash against the lilting piano.

As far as mixing goes, I agree with Smooth4lyfe: definitely lower the piano a bit and raise everything else. And look up 'sidechain ducking', it's quite a useful tool.

Keep making more, though! I look forward to more! :3