About M-audio fasttrack..

Tensei

I've recently bought this piece of hardware, and after some trouble installing it, it's more or less working.

I have connected my guitar to it, and have my headphones in the corresponding socket to test it out, but it actually does things the other way around that I want them to: Rather than music etc. being played through fasttrack, they're still played through the on-board speakers of my laptop. In addition, when I play my guitar, i can hear it through my headphones, but it's unprocessed, rather than being sent to my laptop as it would If I would plug my guitar directly into my laptop.

Sorry for the confusing explanation, but I'll sum up what I want to achieve:

- I want my guitar input to be sent through fasttrack to my laptop where I can process it in my amp simulation software.

- If possible I want to have the output signal of my laptop run through fasttrack to my headphones/speakers (use it as an external soundcard)

Does anyone have an idea how I should set everything up to achieve these things? Any suggestion is welcome :D

EDIT: Things seem to be working now, but there's still a problem, I get latency times of like 2 seconds, and the sound quality is about as bad as with a direct line-in into the mic socket, I hope there's some solution for this and it's not meant to be this way, cause that would seriously suck.

I've never used the hardware in question, but if your laptop is crappy, it having to process everything would slow everything down. Does your laptop have ASIO drivers for its sound card? If it does, make sure they are all installed and running fine. If not... ummmm... kill all your background processes? Pray to various dark gods?