*NO* Zelda 2 'Amongst the Shadows'

Liontamer

My remixer name is Kant Predict and my real name is Patrick Dent.

The name of the game is Zelda II: Adventure of Link and the song remixed is 'Hyrule Temple'.

I produced this remix exclusively with Reason, although I did use ReCycle to produce the needed SFX loops. I have released this track on my album (which has yet to sell at all) although many people like the tune.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure how I'm going to describe the problems I have with this mix.

I don't know what that swirly sound effect is in the background of the mix, but it's dominating the whole thing and it becomes very annoying after a short amount of time. The other issues with the mix would be the lack of any significant direction in the style. Your samples sound all right but they're not mixed in a particularly interesting way. The beats are bland and don't really seem to add anything to the song.

The piece just sort of wanders from here to there, never really building to anything substantial before just fizzling out at the end. It just sounds dysfunctional, and I think you need to sit down and decide what sort of mix this is supposed to be.

Do you want it to build up to something? Then focus the second half of the mix and cut out the annoying sound fx in the background

Do you want the piece to be ambient? Then mix down the volumes of the instruments and get rid of the bland drum beats dotted through the mix.

Do you want a combination? Then get some decent beats, drop the sound fx so they're not as annoying, and work the melody into something that's actually interesting to listen to.

NO

One other thing. You stated in your email:

"I have released this track on my album (which has yet to sell at all.)"

I hope you aren't implying that you're trying to make money off someone elses arrangements. The reason we remix music is meant to be a tribute to the people that created the originals. These remixes are our own, but by basing them on other peoples arrangements, we're liable if we profit from them. I might have misunderstood what you typed, but I thought I should just throw that out there. If you're remixing in hopes of getting money, you should stop and just make original songs instead.

the intro is great but you needed to get that swirly background synth out of there once the drums got involved. i am usually the proponent of style and personalization but that is almost borderline obnoxious.

you should have given the drums more bite. i'm not sure what is truly wrong with the mix, either so i'm with TO on this but i'm gonna try and point my finger at something and i'll have to say its the direction. you pull out of a potentially intense phrase to drop into a very bland and meandering section with that odd swirly synth behind it.

then there's an electric guitar?

i thought my music was schizophrenic but this is just all over the place. if i'm not mistaken about what you are attempting here, you have to realize that fearless arrangement still needs character. you can bounce around ideas like that but without the cohesion that a backbone gives a track, it seems like a random bag of surprises and while that might be entertaining in theory, it is not accessible even by the most liberal minded music entusiasts.

sounds like something from the soundtrack to goldeneye except only in the eerie space that dominates the track. the n64 sounds and the breathing and all that is neat but the music does not carry its own weight to validate them and this headless beast asphyxiates on a nice attempt that is coupled with inadequate execution.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/zelda2.zip - Track 8

Cool swirly stuff for the intro, though those strummed strings sounded way too fake and robotically sequenced. Decent rise in intensity at 1:32 moving into the source melody, though aside from all the crazy effects, you weren't doing much creatively with the actual source tune. There was a pretty simple countermelody, but that was about it. Those beats were really flimsy as well.

Source chorus at 2:30 also sounded really spartan and the contribution of the layering at 2:43 with the guitar synth was negligible to building up the piece. All your leads were too quiet vs. the swirly soundscape, plus the arrangement factor was so minimal.

Good stuff with the belltones at 3:35 to provide more countermelodic ideas, but the development of the source material remained near verbatim. Decent closing section at 4:03.

The interpretation of the actual source material was very minor, with only some sparse countermelodic ideas occasionally added in there. There's never any fleshed out combination of melody, harmony, and or countermelody at any time, plus your sound balance downplayed the lead instrumentation in favor of the swirly pads and limp beats.

You relied too much on the background textures here to give personality to the piece, so IMO you focused on the wrong aspects of working with the original music in terms of the standards here. Keep interpreting the source in your mind first.

NO