*NO* Chrono Cross 'Dream of Another World'

Liontamer

FTPed sub

http://rapidshare.de/files/31763684/Chrono_Cross_Dream_of_Another_World_OC_ReMix.mp3.html

yeah, sorry that I had to use rapishare which is a true pain in the ass for certain, but good free webhosting is impossible to find these days. Anyway, I am a new mixer, though hardly new to composing/rearranging (which hopefully this remix will show). I'm rather satisfied with this song and I think you will be very glad to have it exclusive to ocremix, maybe someday it'll be up there with "Terra in Black" and all the other great stuff you have on the site (we call this "dreams of grandeur" in the industry). Hope to contribute many more to your fine site

ReMixer name: Space-Dye Vest

email: markbellhornsux@usa.com

forum userid: 49316

Name of game(s) ReMixed: Chrono Cross

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: "At the Dream Shore"

comments: Well, this has been a long time in the making. I guess the big inspiration behind it stylistically is the music of Harry Gregson-Williams (of Metal Gear Solid 2/3 fame) and the dark, depressing song by Dream Theater that my ReMixer name just happens to be. I think it's pretty good, anyway, and it's kind of a triumph in that no real big-time programs such as Reason, Logic, etc. were used in its making - only Fruity, the best soundfont patches I could find on hammersound.com, and some very complex automation/programming.

-----------------------------------------------------

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/Chrono_Cross_psf.rar - 107 "Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World"

Opens up with some mechanical-sounding piano, and some clicks and pops, before bringing in some out of place drums at :18. I appreciate the effort to vary up the percussion writing, but the tone on the percussion is all wrong and is way too impactful and overbearing when the rest of the instrumentation you're using is more genteel.

Sequencing continued to be mechanical, and the various changeups in the instrumentation had no flow (e.g. 1:10, 1:21). Just continues on like this for the rest of the track. Tempo and key change at 2:23 made no sense at all, before changing key again at 2:37.

A mess of poorly structured ideas and no sense of continuity or texture. You've got the right idea in terms of trying to interpret the source material, but you need a lot more experience to figure out how to create balanced, humanized, pleasing sonic textures. This is just too unwieldy and unfocused.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

the partwriting on the piano is not terribly realistic, and aside from that it's not terribly well-written, from a harmonic standpoint. lots of akward notes, and akward jumps.

sequencing is mechanical, especially the retards and accelerandos. mishmashy and akward.

aside from that, little cohesion, direction.

NO

BTW: Space-dye Vest is a pretty good song by dream theater which has the same feel..well, no...the same instrum..no...well...it has a piano. and it probably inspired this song.

The More You Know.

these samples hurt.

piano and acoustic drum kit sound straight up General MIDI.

all the transitions are awkward, and the absence of a bassline for 95% of the mix makes no sense to me. this feels aimless, and though you've got the right idea with the drum fills, the samples you're using just sound silly. especially the toms.

this mix has a long way to go from both a production and arrangement standpoint.

NO