*NO* Mario Kart 64 'The Sweet Taste of Victory'

Liontamer

Alright, so here I am with my 4th submission (though my first as "Chavous"). With this mix I tried to go with a Mariah Carey-like feel thing, which took off into a 25 track mix. Personally, I've never used more than 10 tracks, aside from this song.

Game Name: Super Mario 64

Mixer Name: Jaycee Appi (Chavous)

Name of Mix: The Sweet Taste of Victory

Email: dj_notte@yahoo.com

http://www.soundclick.com/util/downloadSong.cfm?ID=4184356&key=0AA2A589-B

(In event of rejection, please keep the link)

• 3 weeks later...

the first problem i hear in this track is that the instruments are somewhat clunky. the drums are akward and cheap-sounding, and the strings and leads have long attacks that become distracting. you want those attacks to be more crisp.

the larger problem is this track is waaay too abbreviated. it's just getting started when it ends. literally 30 seconds after the track starts to escalate, it's over.

no

http://www.zophar.net/usf/MarioKart64_usf.rar - 28 "Victory Lap"

It's cool that you were inspired by a Mariah Carey pop style. In essence, I can see what you were going for. However the end result isn't particularly strong. Intro was WAY too quiet.

The drum tone starting at :33 was really out of place here, not to mention that it didn't fill up the space well. Then again, NOTHING filled up the space well here. Things were pretty empty and flat most of the whole way through. Especially for the beginning, you gotta properly flesh out these sounds with processing/effects and more parts so things aren't so barren. Your pads and strings have no meat on 'em at all; it's unfortunate hearing something like 1:11-1:33, which sounds very Carey-ish in the writing, have 0 power behind it.

The tempo change at 2:08 was subtle, but really abrupt and awkward to me; would perhaps flow better if you bridged the two tempos with something brief.

The arrangement ultimately didn't have enough time to develop given the time alloted. And, unfortunately for you, Vigilante's observation of "literally 30 seconds after the track starts to escalate, it's over," was all too true.

With that cruddy percussion especially, if you're trying to emulate another style, it's important to emulate it fairly faithfully. You need to listen to more of Carey's work and compare the percussion sounds being used. Cool concept, but lacking in execution. Keep striving for experience and improvement, Jaycee.