*NO* Sonic & Knuckles 'Battery Zone Jam'

Liontamer

Battery Zone Jam

Game: Sonic & Knuckles for Genesis

The Cynic Project

http://sonic.tcpmusic.com/

Also my last submission (mid August) has not appeared on the page, can I check if it's still in the queue? thanks

Previous Submission (flying battery zone jam):

------------------------------------------------------

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - Flying Battery Zone 1

Enters with a percussion and synth combo that was a bit odd in a bad way. Didn't really seem like it clicked together, on account of the synth. There's a cool shimmery sound (most easily heard at :24 & :27) that's way in the back.

Fairly good instrumentation ideas overall, but the sound combinations really don't lock together, mainly because of the percussion sounding thick, dominating most of the soundscape. Meanwhile, the background of the track wasn't even being adequately filled out. It took until :52 with the synth strings for that to even happen (off-and-on). You need to fill out the track more consistently.

Was there any point to the random synth from 1:20-1:26? Poor transition idea regardless, especially for something where the track didn't even change up afterward. Scrap it. On the other hand though, nice cameo from that glassy synth from 1:59-2:02 that actually complimented the rest of the instrumentation. Didn't work as well for the ending, since you exposed the sample too much on that last note.

By about 2:09, I was getting a bit tired of the whole thing, no offense. The percussion changed up, but never felt integral to the arrangement at any point, plus the melodic lead never changed up in the tone of the writing, leaving the depth of the arrangement lacking.

Do something to fill out the track in the back. If it means more string work, then so be it, although the sample for those strings wasn't used as well as it could have been.

Do something so that the melodic arrangement doesn't repeat so much. Bring new ideas to the table, bro, or it gets boring like it does now. Lots of potential here, Alex, but more work needs to be invested into this one.

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, production level is good in terms of sound quality, I really like the way that the drums sound; but composition wise this needs a lot more. The majority of the track is simply a drum beat with a vibraphone. I'm a fan of minimalist, but this doesn't even include enough elements to be minimal.

The arrangement gets boring at times, no doubt due to the lack of instrumentation and lack of layers. When the mix ends, the listener is likely to feel like they have been left in mid-air, as the arrangement doesn't feel is if it's going anywhere at that point.

This sounds as though it needs a lot more work. If this were visual it would be a building composed entirely of metal girders. It just doesn't sound finished. Add some more ideas, more instrumentation, make it more engaging.

NO

I have to agree with Malcos and Liontamer. This just needs more material. It's like you had half the tracks muted. Also, the drum pattern could probably be a little more interesting... you know, something big beat style maybe. I don't really have anything much else to add here except to beef this up and vary the arrangement more.

NO