Sign in to follow this  
Bundeslang

PRC337 - A Battle to Be In Front (Front Mission 3)

PRC improvement  

12 members have voted

  1. 1. What changes would you recommend to PRC

    • Don't limit users to submit to ThaSauce, let them upload the song wherever they want.
      5
    • Make the rounds longer, a longer remixing stage (monthly contest)
      1
    • Longer voting stages
      0
    • Remix a game instead of a source
      2
    • Make sure that PRC and MnP don't have the same deadlines
      3
    • Use sources from the request forum instead of letting winners select the source
      0
    • No extension if no songs are submitted
      1
    • Don't change anything
      3


Recommended Posts

The People's Remix Competition 337
PRCv13-25


Hello everyone and Welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

 

This is almost the last round of this season. PlanarianHugger was the only one who submitted a source before the first deadline. However, after extending it, both Supercoolmike and DJ Mokram managed to get a song in and it was DJ Mokram who submitted the most popular song. 8 People voted for this round, a very good number of voters.

 

Before we move to the next round, first please pay attention to the poll that I added. Please give your opinion about how this contest could be improved. I will take the results of this poll into account and might make some changes in the future of this contest based on these outcomes.

 

Quote

Ever wondered what Final Fantasy Tactics set in a distant future, with giant mechs instead of knights, would look like? Wonder no more! Front Mission is yet another T-RPG masterpiece by Squaresoft. ...well, WAS since the serie fell prey to western-washing and vanished over night in 2010. "Front Line Base" from Front Mission 3 is a special song for me, as this is technically the first game tune I ever remixed. Ok, not exactly, since back then I didn't know anything about arranging or the VGM scene, so I just added drums on top of the original sampled tune and called it a day. Yeah, sorry 'bout that. Anyway, this source got a straightforward time-sig, simple yet distinct progressions and some interesting solo leads, making it easy to expand on. Hope y'all have some fun with this one! (^_^ )

 

487549-front-mission-3-playstation-scree

 

Source: Front Mission 3 - Front Line Base (PS1)

MIDI

MP3

Source Information

 

ThaSauce link: Click here to submit

To submit a song at the compo page a ThaSauce account is required.

To register and submit, do the following.

  • Click the ThaSauce Link.
  • Click the 'You are not logged in' button in the upper right.
  • Click on 'register' (at the bottom).
  • Read the terms and click 'I agree to these terms'. If you don't agree with them, upload the song somewhere else and post a download link as mentioned above (by doing that, you allow me to upload the song at ThaSauce.
  • Continue the process by filling in your information.
  • You will get a question to confirm that you're not a robot. Here are some possible answers:
    • Name a compo: PRC
    • Who organizes One Hour Compo: Starla
    • Name a ThaSauce subdomain: compo.thasauce.net
    • Who created Mega Mans: Capcom
  • A confirmation mail will be send. There might be some issues with it (meaning that you don't get it), if that is the case, upload the song somewhere else as described above.
  • Once registered, login with your username and password, go to the mentioned page and submit the song. If you want submit two or more songs you can create multiple ThaSauce accounts or upload the song somewhere else and post the download link.
  • After uploadeding your song, please check if your song plays and can be downloaded and played without problems. Only upload MP3 files.

If anyone has problems with registering or uploading the song to ThaSauce, please upload the song somewhere else and post a download link in the thread. I recommend Soundcloud, don't forget to allow downloads to enable me to upload the song at ThaSauce.

PRC instructions

  • Limitations at ThaSauce require your entry to be 20 MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed (only as Bonus Mixes).
  • Entries must be posted at the ThaSauce Link by Wednesday December 14th 2016 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time, check the ThaSauce page for the exact time left. Two extra days.
  • You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix. You can also upload it somewhere else and put a download link in this thread
  • Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.
  • Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.
  • The winner of this round may select the source for PRC339. PRC338 will be the traditional anniversary edition.
  • The winner of PRC336, DJ Mokram, can only take part by submitting a bonus mix.
  • You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

 

GOOD LUCK!

PRC.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't feel right for voting for some of these options in the poll but still like them, so I'll just add my two cents.

I like the current state of choosing a single source and having it remixed, but I also like the ideas of choosing a game to remix and choosing songs from the request forum. Maybe rounds should alternate between those source selection methods somehow; maybe for round 338 bundeslang chooses a game to remix, the single source for 339 is decided by the winner of 337, the game source for 400 is decided by the winner of 338 etc.. Maybe work the request forum into that formula, or just keep everything the same. I think it is kinda fine as it is.

One thing I had in the first compo I ever participated in: there was always a sync listen where everyone would go to an irc chat at the same time, the person running the sync listen would say "queue track: Subspace Ruins by PlanarianHugger" and then a few seconds later "play track: Subspace Ruins by PlanarianHugger". The method you use to sync listen could change and isn't important, but what was important was that it got people together to just hang out and talk about music and other stuff; it created a sense of community and it made people who attended the sync listen look forward to participating in future rounds. Infact I left that compo because the community got a little too crazy with people spamming IRC and submitting a lot of joke submissions where they would be exclusively comprised of obscene noises and/or clipping volume, and there were a LOT of submissions-- somewhere closer to 20 sometimes around the time I left I think, but it was really great when everyone was making music and not just trying to troll everyone. I'm not sure if that is anything that people would be interested in, but who knows maybe I'll try to organize something like that (assuming no one else does it) in the future for this compo, because I really like the idea of sync listens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Overkillius said:

I don't feel right for voting for some of these options in the poll but still like them, so I'll just add my two cents.

I like the current state of choosing a single source and having it remixed, but I also like the ideas of choosing a game to remix and choosing songs from the request forum. Maybe rounds should alternate between those source selection methods somehow; maybe for round 338 bundeslang chooses a game to remix, the single source for 339 is decided by the winner of 337, the game source for 400 is decided by the winner of 338 etc.. Maybe work the request forum into that formula, or just keep everything the same. I think it is kinda fine as it is.

One thing I had in the first compo I ever participated in: there was always a sync listen where everyone would go to an irc chat at the same time, the person running the sync listen would say "queue track: Subspace Ruins by PlanarianHugger" and then a few seconds later "play track: Subspace Ruins by PlanarianHugger". The method you use to sync listen could change and isn't important, but what was important was that it got people together to just hang out and talk about music and other stuff; it created a sense of community and it made people who attended the sync listen look forward to participating in future rounds. Infact I left that compo because the community got a little too crazy with people spamming IRC and submitting a lot of joke submissions where they would be exclusively comprised of obscene noises and/or clipping volume, and there were a LOT of submissions-- somewhere closer to 20 sometimes around the time I left I think, but it was really great when everyone was making music and not just trying to troll everyone. I'm not sure if that is anything that people would be interested in, but who knows maybe I'll try to organize something like that (assuming no one else does it) in the future for this compo, because I really like the idea of sync listens.

Thanks for the reply.

PRC338 is a free round. I don't think it's a good idea to alternate between game and single source this way, it's confusing and if implemented I would prefer a setting that the mixers can choose to pick a source or game. Selecting a game might be a bit against the goal of PRC: remixing unknown sources (or at least sources without an Ocremix), I need to think how this selection should happen if I go for it.

But the setting you present (winner of PRC X selects the source for PRC X+2) has some advantages. One of them is that the remix stage of the next round can start before the last round has ended (even during the voting stage) since the source of the next round is already chosen. It also gives people more time to vote and select a source since they don't get to decide the source for the next round but for the round after that. For me it's also much easier since I have lots of time to prepare the next round. I've considered to implement this in the past but never did it. A disadvantage is that winners have to wait longer before 'their source' is remixed. They can win two rounds in a row and after that they cannot win the next two rounds (except if I drop the limitation that winners can't enter; of course they can always do bonus mixes). I might do this if not many people are against it (if I do, the winner of PRC338 selects a source for PRC340, the winner of PRC339 selects the source for PRC341 etc.).

I don't know anything about IRC so I cannot say much about that. It might be interesting. But that only works if there's a good number of people who's interested to tune in at a specific time. Especially when rounds need extensions it might be difficult to plan it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bundeslang said:

Thanks for the reply.

PRC338 is a free round. I don't think it's a good idea to alternate between game and single source this way, it's confusing and if implemented I would prefer a setting that the mixers can choose to pick a source or game. Selecting a game might be a bit against the goal of PRC: remixing unknown sources (or at least sources without an Ocremix), I need to think how this selection should happen if I go for it.

But the setting you present (winner of PRC X selects the source for PRC X+2) has some advantages. One of them is that the remix stage of the next round can start before the last round has ended (even during the voting stage) since the source of the next round is already chosen. It also gives people more time to vote and select a source since they don't get to decide the source for the next round but for the round after that. For me it's also much easier since I have lots of time to prepare the next round. I've considered to implement this in the past but never did it. A disadvantage is that winners have to wait longer before 'their source' is remixed. They can win two rounds in a row and after that they cannot win the next two rounds (except if I drop the limitation that winners can't enter; of course they can always do bonus mixes). I might do this if not many people are against it (if I do, the winner of PRC338 selects a source for PRC340, the winner of PRC339 selects the source for PRC341 etc.).

I don't know anything about IRC so I cannot say much about that. It might be interesting. But that only works if there's a good number of people who's interested to tune in at a specific time. Especially when rounds need extensions it might be difficult to plan it.

Been mulling over this proposition and have resolved to let you give that a shot, since you're the veteran compo host here Bunde.  I pretty much ride off PRC's coattails :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poll is a bit random. My suggestion was simply to look at what worked in the case of OCR compos when it comes to drawing contestants/voters, and apply some of that magic to your compo. Again, the formula of the PRC is fine and doesn't need to go through an existential crisis. Remixing a game instead of one specific source would make voting unmanageable imo. The source-selection skip/switch system suggested by Overkillius sounds pretty good to me. Having more than one option to submit a song is great, but allowing folks to vote here might do some good too. Most importantly, if you want more people entering the compo don't forget to talk about PRC outside of this thread. Ultimately, the goal is to find ways to up participation and minimize "XX days extension" and "winner by default" scenarios as much as possible. :)

 

On 04/12/2016 at 10:23 PM, HoboKa said:

After listening to DJ Mokram's (edit) O.S.P. album this track REALLY has a Metal Gear feel to it lol!  

The Metal Gear, Front Mission and Ace Combat series feature some of my fav VGM out there. Excellent, yet criminally under-remixed soundtracks really.

 

On 06/12/2016 at 4:02 AM, Overkillius said:

One thing I had in the first compo I ever participated in: there was always a sync listen where everyone would go to an irc chat at the same time [...] it got people together to just hang out and talk about music and other stuff; it created a sense of community and it made people who attended the sync listen look forward to participating in future rounds.

Were you by chance talking about the One Hour Compo? Got started with this in 09 and indeed it was great to meet for this weekly, fun little exercise, talking music with people in irc, the sense of urgency to complete a song in time and then listening to everyone's entries live at the end. Not sure the logistics of it would translate well to PRC though, with the time zone differences and small number of contestants/entries. Could be worth looking into...

 

9 hours ago, Overkillius said:

This source is a real booger to analyze in any meaningful way!

That's what the MIDI file is here for. Unless of course you prefer to translate the source by ear. ;)

 

Sadly I won't have time to submit a bonus entry this round, but I'll be sure to vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

21 hours ago, Overkillius said:

This source is a real booger to analyze in any meaningful way!

Cool beans!

The MIDI file is incredibly well done.  My remix is based off of it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Overkillius said:

YES SIR
*salutes*

Finals are this week so... :D
I'll see if I can end up squeezing in a remix, because this source is bonkers cool

Yikes!!  All the best to you mang, hope it goes well.  Second random Arnold Swartzenegger quote for Lols

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the voting stage 

The mixing stage is over. This round has 2 songs. The following people compete against each other    

Hoboka

Overkillius

 

To vote, do the following:

  • Visit the stated ThaSauce Page and listen to all the entries.
  • Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen.
  • Fill in the entries from first to second. Leave the third box empty.
  • State a reasoning for it.
  • Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. However, they may not vote for themselve, they only have to fill in the first box, they should leave the second and third box empty. They get a free first place if they vote, so it doesn't matter for the results. Non participants are encouraged to vote to decide the winner and leave comments.
  • The winner of last round, DJ Mokram, has a vote that counts twice.
  • Always look in this thread to find out who's the winner of the round after the voting stage instead of only looking at ThaSauce for the results.

 

You have until THIS Friday, December 16th 10:59 am ThaSauce time to vote.

The winner may choose the source tune for PRC339. PRC338 will start in a couple of minutes, it's a free round.

 


Check the ThaSauce Page to vote.


If anyone have issues voting via ThaSauce you can vote by sending me a PM at Ocremix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/12/2016 at 5:43 AM, HoboKa said:

Nice!  Thanks for participating, in spite of your hectic schedule Overkillius - it means a lot :3 

Ditto. Thanks to BOTH of you for taking the time to arrange the song. Your mixes made my day. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Results Time

The results are as follows:

Number of participants: 

Number of votes:  3

Lastplace.jpgOverkillius did a short but good mix. He got 9 points and gets the last place wooden spoon.

Firstplace.jpgThe winner of PRC336 is Hoboka with 12 points congratulations.

 

Hoboka, you won this round. You may select the source for PRC339. Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your source as fast as you can, but before next Sunday (25 December), 10:59 AM ThaSauce time.

You may select any source for any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links:

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).
 
PRC338 already started and is a free round:
 
Check the ThaSauce Page for the results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this