Final Fantasy VI playthrough with commentary from scholars

Me, Drumultima, and two scholars not on OCR (Dana Plank and Michael Harris) have begun playing through Final Fantasy VI while we talk about what's interesting in the music as we go along.  The first quarter or so of the game is done and posted to YouTube here -- join us Thursday, 2/9, at 9:00 PM EST for the next session (likely to include the opera scene).

Any particular things you're interested in hearing us muse over between leaving Narshe after Terra flies off and departing for Thamasa (as far as we're likely to get next time)?  Let us know!

EDIT: Our second session is up on both YouTube and Twitch -- we got as far as the escape from the Magitek Research Facility.  Doug couldn't make it (thanks to the Northeast weather) so we called upon Julianne Grasso to sub for him.

I'd like to hear a bit of commentary about the cut scene in Kohlingen with Rachel, before the bit with Jidoor and Zozo. Not only is this the *only* glimpse into Locke's past, but it is also one of the two times in the entire game where we hear Forever Rachel. It has always seemed significant to me that Rachel was one of the only NPCs in the game to have her own theme.

Plus, that crazy old man with the 'preserving herbs' always entertained me. :)

On 2/10/2017 at 6:22 PM, The Nikanoru said:

I'd like to hear a bit of commentary about the cut scene in Kohlingen with Rachel, before the bit with Jidoor and Zozo. Not only is this the *only* glimpse into Locke's past, but it is also one of the two times in the entire game where we hear Forever Rachel. It has always seemed significant to me that Rachel was one of the only NPCs in the game to have her own theme.

Plus, that crazy old man with the 'preserving herbs' always entertained me. :)

We did some of that, and I'm sure Doug will want to chime in when we hear it again in the World of Ruin.  Because they are so similar in both story and music (that is, minor arrangements of the major themes given to their male counterparts), we will probably also return to Rachel when we encounter Daryl's theme probably two sessions from now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...